Indian blanket

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I rescued this plant from certain death at Home Depot. I put it indoors and deadheaded and it bloomed and did well for about a month and 1/2. Now, it buds, and they die before blooming. It has 2 tiny new plants at the base you can see in the photos. I am not good at watering. Is it dying bc it's winter, how temp sensitive is it, is it root rot, how much should i water, should i repot, should i repot the new plants? It does have leaves that die w yellowing and brown spots, Idk how much that plays in to all of this. I love the plant. It's so cheerful! I'd love to save it if I can. Advise pls? Thank you IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0891.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blanket-flower (Gaillardia x grandiflora), in the Sunflower Tribe (Heliantheae) of the Daisy Family (Asteraceae), are short lived perennial garden hybrids, resulting from a cross of the perennial G. aristata and the annual G. pulchella.
All Gaillardia are native to North America. They need full sun and good drainage. Perennial species will go dormant in Winter.

Your plant is stressed from overwatering and insufficient light. Also, being a cold-temperate plant, it does not make a good houseplant. Plant this Gaillardia outside in full sun, either in well-drained ground or a larger container. As Winter is approaching do not expect flowers until late Spring. With proper care this plant might recover, but I repeat, it is stressed from improper care. In any case, after a few years it will likely senesce and die. If you want more, consider starting them from seed in Spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blanket-flower (Gaillardia x grandiflora), in the Sunflower Tribe (Heliantheae) of the Daisy Family (Asteraceae), are short lived perennial garden hybrids, resulting from a cross of the perennial G. aristata and the annual G. pulchella.
All Gaillardia are native to North America. They need full sun and good drainage. Perennial species will go dormant in Winter.

Your plant is stressed from overwatering and insufficient light. Also, being a cold-temperate plant, it does not make a good houseplant. Plant this Gaillardia outside in full sun, either in well-drained ground or a larger container. As Winter is approaching do not expect flowers until late Spring. With proper care this plant might recover, but I repeat, it is stressed from improper care. In any case, after a few years it will likely senesce and die. If you want more, consider starting them from seed in Spring.
Thank you for your reply. I did plant the new offshoots. HOw can I know how often to water and how much? I watered 1 inch, 1once /wk. What does 1 in mean? Sigh.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please, post pics of these repotted 'offsets' and discuss their location and other care.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please, post pics of these repotted 'offsets' and discuss their location and other care.

They are dead or dying. Lifting one a bit to make sure it was placed, it looked like there was a tiny sprout on the root. Possible, or do they only grow out of a branch? I was going to divide a section today bc it looks healthier than the rest of the plant, with new growth. Should I even bother?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not certain of success now, due to the season and the plant's current condition, but it is a learning experience.
Rather than propagating the plant, just try to let the plant survive in a dormant state until Spring outdoors. Then it might rebound.

In Spring, your options will be much wider, you can consider buying new Gaillardia or growing a crop from seed.
Remember to grow them outdoors in full sun in well-draining soil. This is your pathway to success.

Ask a Question