Incy Wincy Spiders

Reaction score
I have a problem. These tiny little balck spiders are everywhere. You can see them on my lawn without even having to strain you eyes. I am not kidding when I say there must be thousands of little balck spiders everywhere. They haven't bitten us or anything, they are just there, and I wish they weren't.

Does anyboy have any trusted remedy (preferably natural) that can help me get rid of them. They are driving me crazy!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Probably babies that have just hatched, won't be long before most of them are gone and theres just one big fat one left, they eat each other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I didn't know that about spiders zigs.

I don't bother too much when I see spiders among my plants because they eat the harmful insects. If you're sure that they aren't a poisonous species then I'd just ignore them.

Reaction score
I mostly leave them alone when they are in the garden as well, but this year they are just crazy! They are anchoring plants to the walls, completely encasing pots, building funnel nests everywhere and in everything. I've never seen so many! I guess it's because it's been rainy, and there are so many bugs for them to eat. I haven't come across any babies yet this year - last year there was a million hatchlings on our sliding doors to the deck - that was pretty disgusting. But yeah, the little ones disappear pretty quickly.

I don't know if there really is a benign way you can get rid of a mass of spiders on your lawn Babble64. I've heard lavender oil spray repels them, but that is more of an indoor solution. You would probably have to use a pesticide. Maybe wait a few days and see if they go away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Spiders eat each other? Oh no, I'll have nightmares again. Every now and then somebody starts a thread about spiders here and after reading it, I'm scatred of falling asleep:p
Anyway, ColdHands, if I were you, I would let them live, I've never heard of any spiders that could harm plants.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear :( Poor you.

Reaction score
Sounds gross. If you have kids, maybe you can turn it into a science experiment. Study how the mass changes over the days.
Otherwise, I would assume that they are going to disperse over the next few days.
Another thing to think about, is that spiders are predatory. So if there are more this year, then there is probably a need for it. Their increase in population is balancing out an increase in their prey's population from the year before. You probably don't want to interfere with that cycle. Left alone, it should come back into balance again.

Ask a Question