Inchworm Infestation

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am having a real problem with inchworms in my greenhouse. My tomatoes and bell pepper plants and even a poinsettia are being ravaged by inchworms. I'd prefer to keep any solution organic and I've just applied a treatment of Dr. Earth but I'm not optimistic of its success.

Advice is very welcome. How do I eradicate these voracious feeders?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am having a real problem with inchworms in my greenhouse. My tomatoes and bell pepper plants and even a poinsettia are being ravaged by inchworms. I'd prefer to keep any solution organic and I've just applied a treatment of Dr. Earth but I'm not optimistic of its success.

Advice is very welcome. How do I eradicate these voracious feeders?
The very best way of dealing with caterpillars is to use Bt (Bacillus thuringensis). It is totally organic and comes under many names but I suppose the easiest to to find is GreenLight Bio Worm Killer.. Just ask at any nursery. Even the big box stores carry it but under a different name. One application and every caterpillar is dead within 24 hours. It only kills caterpillars. The best all around caterpillar and insect killer is made with a product named Spinosad. It also comes under many different brand names. It takes spinosad about 48 hours to kill caterpillars

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would neem oil be necessary or even beneficial?
Neem has little if any effect on caterpillars. Neem is best used on scale insects and as a fungicide although many folks use it as their main insecticide. Spinosad is much better as an all around insectcide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, Chuck. That helps me a lot. The funny thing is in the fall I saw three or four moths flying around the greenhouse and didn't give it much of a thought. I'll know next time.

Ask a Question