Imprisoned trees - what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wanted to get your advice about some trees we have on our estate.

When the estate had a refurbishment a number of new trees were planted within fancy metal-strip cylindrical tubes.
At the time it was a good idea as it protected the young tree from vandalism and looked visually appealing.

Fifteen years later and the young trees have grown substantially and are being imprisoned/choked by their metal-strip tubes;
DSC06277.JPG
DSC06280.JPG
DSC06281.JPG

Now there are trees which have;
Sprouted multiple branches out through the gaps between the metal strips,
A trunk has fattened out around the metal strip and it is now part embedded in the tree,
Substantial growth in the lower half of the metal cylinder which is 'bursting open' the metal cylinder instead of swallowing up the metal strip.

I wanted to ask what is the best option for these trees?

Leave the metal, remove the metal or a case by case decision for a tree surgeon?

Yes our Housing Association is useless as this situation should not have been allowed to escalate to this point and clearly neglect on their part.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, case by case removal of metal by Arborist and reciprocating metal saw. Some of the metal will have to stay but most can be removed. It might be less expensive to remove and replant new trees, though. Depends on budget available

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My personal opinion is are you looking for wrought iron work or trees? Get rid of whichever you don't want. Personally I would carefully cut and remove the metal. The trees are going to get bigger - the metal not so much. So they will eventually grow into the metal. Do it now why you can get at it. Frankly it shouldn't be difficult as long as you are careful. A tree surgeon is going to be expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it would be legal for you to sort this problem yourself Markie. If your housing association won't deal with it then speak to your local council.

Ask a Question