Impact Wrench not strong enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The bolts have probably chemically welded to the threads on the heater. I have a 30” long 1/2” drive breaker bar. This has either loosened or broken every nut or bolt I have used it on. A couple of whacks with a hammer on the bolts may break them free otherwise I would get a breaker bar with a 6 sided socket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
v
The bolts have probably chemically welded to the threads on the heater. I have a 30” long 1/2” drive breaker bar. This has either loosened or broken every nut or bolt I have used it on. A couple of whacks with a hammer on the bolts may break them free otherwise I would get a breaker bar with a 6 sided socket.
Would a battery charger not be a better way to reverse a chemical reaction?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few things to try. First spray some penetrating fluid and let it stand for a while then tap with a hammer. If needed heat it cherry red and apply ice. When working the nut go in both directions to break the corrosion. Increase the pressure on the impact wrench. As mentioned use a six point socket. Be prepared to buy a new tank because you may break the nut off.

Ask a Question