Immortality Herb

Reaction score
I was just thumbing through my Michigan Bulb Company catalog (YES I have several catalogs to oogle at night now!) and I found this herb called Immortality Herb. It is also known as Jiaogulan. It is said to strengthen the immune system and lower cholesterol levels. You can make a tea with the leaves. It is like a vine and will grow in a pot or hanging basket and can reach up to 25' if you support it with a trellis. Says it also boosts energy. I certainly need that.

I think I am going to try this. One plant is $6.49 and it comes potted. This might me by "try" item for the year. If I have the extra money I incorporate something new and different that I would like to try. This could be it.

Have you ever tried the Jiaogulan, also known as the Immortality Herb?

Here is a link to a picture and more information about it.

http://www.herb.com/jgl.html

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's interesting Shellyann :)

Reaction score
I love herbs like this... People don't realize how much herbs can really do for you. Oftentimes I think they're better than the drugs that doctors prescribe today.

Reaction score
I haven't heard of that before but its something that I am going to look into. Michigan Bulb does have some intriguing stuff and I do find that their prices are reasonable.

Reaction score
Gynostemma Pentaphyllum or Jiaogulan is also known as " Southern Ginseng " and therefore a very popular Chinese herb for all those who are into ginseng - especially as it is very easily grown from seed.

Although the Chinese grow this herb as a ground vine many people choose to grow it up a trellis of wall - but I would warn you - that as it is an extremely rapid grower and can grow well over 30ft a year and will need constant pruning to keep it to a manageable size.

Although I am very much into the benefits of herbal medicines - I would however just like to add - that although this herb has been used for many years in Chinese Medicine - it is relatively new outside of China and its full benefits are still being researched and as yet - it has only been found that it " may " help in reducing cholesterol levels and strengthen the immune system rather than it will.

My apologies - if the following dampens the enjoyment of your new find Shellyann but as I know quite a lot about this herb feel it only fair to

Issue a word of warning to anyone who is planning to drink tea or herbal concoctions made from this herb -

If you are taking any prescription medications or over the counter ones - you would be well advised to talk to your doctor beforehand - as it has been found that - Jiaogulan interacts with quite a lot of prescription drugs - causing an adverse drug reaction and particularly so in those people who are taking anti-platelets, anticoagulants and immunosuppressants - plus a long list of many other well known prescription and non prescription drugs - so please if at all in doubt as to whether it would be right for you - err on the side of caution and check with your doctor first.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I hear of Jiaogulan. I always learn so many new things while browsing this forum! :)
Immortality Herb sounds like something that I'd want to grow. I love eating healthy and I always look for natural remedies for everything:)

Thank you for the warning, Gata Montes!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I'm not on any medications that might interact with the herb, so I'd actually like to try this herb sometime.
Add me to the list of people that prefer natural remedies whenever possible.

Reaction score
I've heard of Jiaogulan but never really investigated it. Thanks, Gata Montes for that wealth of information. I don't think many people realize that before taking herbal supplements and homeopathic remedies, they should discuss any potential side-effects with anything they're currently taking - or not taking. I took an herbal weight loss pill containing guarana once on the advice of a friend who was taking it, and ended up with severe heart palpitations because my system couldn't handle it.

Reaction score
It's funny... I actually found a guide to herbs in my online travels yesterday. I wasn't even looking for it. I added this herb to the list of them to try.

Reaction score
Whoa this is interesting, I want to try and search for this herb! This is something I'd want to research on further.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to try this herb. I live in zone 7. so it would need to be planted as an annual or as a potted plant. Is it possible to break off a piece to root and pot to over winter?

Reaction score
I would like to try this herb. I live in zone 7. so it would need to be planted as an annual or as a potted plant. Is it possible to break off a piece to root and pot to over winter?

As Gynostemma Pentaphyllum or Jiaogulan - is classed as either an annual or what is regarded as a tender perennial depending on where its grown and is hardy to at least - 5C and possibly more - you have various options - as although it can be propagated in various ways such as - stem cuttings, root division and seed - it may if you have very cold winters - just be a matter of growing it in a pot and then overwintering in a sheltered spot and the roots protected with horticultural fleece if necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is something I have not heard of myself. I am always looking for new herbs to add to my medicinal herb garden. Right now, I am trying to decide which herbs I can plant in the ground and which ones I should put in planters to bring in during the winter. I should add this one to my list.

Ask a Question