I'm gonna kill my cat / what's this spider?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
My male cat, Buckshot (not the one on my avatar, that's Felina, Buckshot's momma, and she's an angel) must have had a fit last night. I have a work bench right outside our bedroom window that I'm gonna use to work on my rocks, but for now, since it's the sunniest spot on the porch and I'm starting the seeds for my fall garden, it's where all the solo cups with the seeds sit. This morning, I went outside and all of the cups where on the floor! I'm gonna have to start over! Thank God I had some inside the house and these are fine.

I also saw a very big web, I almost walked into it, and it wasn't there last night. I grabbed a broom and destroyed it, but I wanted to know what kind of spider had built it. I finally found her. I had never seen it before and I'm really afraid of brown recluses and venomous critters in general. Especially now that we killed a scorpion in our bathroom last week.

Anyway, I took a picture of it before killing it (better safe than sorry) and I know it's not a brown recluse but, does anyone know what it is and if it's venomous?

100_5823.JPG

Reaction score
Oh my !!!! I have no idea what kind of spider that could be but it looks dangerous and very scary!! Glad you found it and killed it!! I let my cats on our back porch, it's enclosed and they like it out there. I always worry about them getting bit by a spider or something else being out there. Curious to know if anyone recognizes what kind of spider this may be....

I'm sorry you have so much work ahead of you. :( I know that feeling all too well.

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My male cat, Buckshot (not the one on my avatar, that's Felina, Buckshot's momma, and she's an angel) must have had a fit last night. I have a work bench right outside our bedroom window that I'm gonna use to work on my rocks, but for now, since it's the sunniest spot on the porch and I'm starting the seeds for my fall garden, it's where all the solo cups with the seeds sit. This morning, I went outside and all of the cups where on the floor! I'm gonna have to start over! Thank God I had some inside the house and these are fine.

I also saw a very big web, I almost walked into it, and it wasn't there last night. I grabbed a broom and destroyed it, but I wanted to know what kind of spider had built it. I finally found her. I had never seen it before and I'm really afraid of brown recluses and venomous critters in general. Especially now that we killed a scorpion in our bathroom last week.

Anyway, I took a picture of it before killing it (better safe than sorry) and I know it's not a brown recluse but, does anyone know what it is and if it's venomous?

View attachment 3681
I don't know its name but they are very common and harmless until you walk into their web at night and it causes you to have a heart attack

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Oh my !!!! I have no idea what kind of spider that could be but it looks dangerous and very scary!! Glad you found it and killed it!! I let my cats on our back porch, it's enclosed and they like it out there. I always worry about them getting bit by a spider or something else being out there. Curious to know if anyone recognizes what kind of spider this may be....

I'm sorry you have so much work ahead of you. :( I know that feeling all too well.

Danyel :)
Thanks, Danyel. The little bugger is lucky he's so sweet most of the time. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I think the spider is an argiope, aka "gardener's friend, banana spider, or golden orb". There are several different kinds of argiopes, but all are non-threatening and great bad-bug catchers.
About cats and plants--I had 65 rooted rose cuttings in 4" pots, labeled with popsicle sticks stuck in the soil. Our cat Feliz decided those sticks looked like fun and removed each and every one! I had to hang on to the roses for a year until they bloomed and I could tell which rose they were. We still have Feliz, and still love her. I just don't let her near any potted plants with labels!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Next time I see one I won't kill it if it's not too close to me then. As for Buckshot, I'll follow your advice and keep the solo cups away from him. Cats always win anyway...;)

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of those at home, as far as I know they are just really ugly spiders and nothing more. Those spiders get rid of other bugs, so better let them in place, unless you find them inside your home and I don't think you'd feel like ''relocating'' it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ugh, that spider is just gross. I got the shaky hebeejeebies when I scrolled down and looked at the photo. Harmless or not, I hate spiders!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Look at the hair-ish things on the legs. They are so creepy. I also see some of these in our garden. I just destroy the web then let the spiders go. I don't have the heart to kill them.

Ask a Question