I'm dumb and i need help.

T

theemeraldgardener

Hello, I have a problem. I'm looking for a simple formula to help find my ppm in my fertilizer. It's a mix i added together which has a value of 16.5-7.25-8.25 and 4.25 sulfur. I put 10 mls in a gal of water and i need to know the ppm of all the nutrients I've been trying to figure this out for days and i'm starting to freak out. I don't want links to other sites it WILL BE IGNORED. I want somebody to describe what exactly i need to do step by step to get my result because i'm seemingly mentally impaired and can't do this otherwise. Thanks for any and all help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
To calculate the ppm of each nutrient in your fertilizer mix, you'll need to follow these steps:

Determine the weight of one milliliter (ml) of your fertilizer mix. You can do this by weighing out 10 ml of your fertilizer and then dividing that weight by 10 to get the weight of 1 ml.

Calculate the total amount of each nutrient in one ml of your fertilizer mix. To do this, you'll need to convert the percentages of each nutrient into decimal form and then multiply by the weight of 1 ml of your fertilizer mix.

For example, to calculate the total amount of nitrogen (N) in one ml of your fertilizer mix, you would use the following formula:

(16.5 / 100) x weight of 1 ml of fertilizer = total amount of N in 1 ml of fertilizer

Likewise, to calculate the total amount of phosphorus (P) or potassium (K) in one ml of your fertilizer mix, you would use the following formulas:

(7.25 / 100) x weight of 1 ml of fertilizer = total amount of P in 1 ml of fertilizer

(8.25 / 100) x weight of 1 ml of fertilizer = total amount of K in 1 ml of fertilizer

And to calculate the total amount of sulfur (S) in one ml of your fertilizer mix, you would use this formula:

4.25 x weight of 1 ml of fertilizer = total amount of S in 1 ml of fertilizer

Convert the total amount of each nutrient in one ml of your fertilizer mix into ppm (parts per million) by multiplying by 1000. This is because ppm is a unit of concentration that is equivalent to milligrams per liter (mg/L), and there are 1000 ml in one liter.

For example, if the weight of 1 ml of your fertilizer mix is 1 gram (g), then the total amount of nitrogen in 1 ml would be:

(16.5 / 100) x 1 g = 0.165 g

To convert this to ppm, you would multiply by 1000:

0.165 g x 1000 = 165 ppm

So the ppm of nitrogen in your fertilizer mix would be 165.

Repeat this process for each nutrient to determine the ppm of phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur in your fertilizer mix.

To calculate the total ppm of all nutrients in your fertilizer mix, simply add up the ppm of each nutrient. For example, if the ppm of nitrogen is 165, the ppm of phosphorus is 72.5, the ppm of potassium is 82.5, and the ppm of sulfur is 4250, then the total ppm of all nutrients in your fertilizer mix would be:

165 + 72.5 + 82.5 + 4250 = 4570 ppm

So the total ppm of all nutrients in your fertilizer mix would be 4570.

I hope this step-by-step guide helps you calculate the ppm of your fertilizer mix. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

theemeraldgardener

Thank you! You've made my life effectively much easier... i was basically having trouble getting the initial part so i could plug it into the equation i kept seeing online for it. I just literally couldn't process it because half of the sites don't number their variables and i can't keep track of that many different things. Basically i would have had to do what you just did and rewrite the whole thing, without knowledge of how to do so. Because i didn't know the variables. Anyways, thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! You've made my life effectively much easier... i was basically having trouble getting the initial part so i could plug it into the equation i kept seeing online for it. I just literally couldn't process it because half of the sites don't number their variables and i can't keep track of that many different things. Basically i would have had to do what you just did and rewrite the whole thing, without knowledge of how to do so. Because i didn't know the variables. Anyways, thanks again!
you are welcome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Good stuff @Nasir!

For those that cannot imagine how to measure such small amounts, but have to do so for some reason, remember that syringes like those a vet might use come marked in CC's or cubic centimeters where 1 CC is also equal to 1 mL.

Ask a Question