Ill mango trees :'(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Hey,
I belive some of you know I've been growing mangoes (and also peppers, ...) but my mangoes seems to be dying right now, all the 2 of them but as you'll see in the photos, the leaves are dying and there are fungis in one of the pots, a few months ago, I had some contamination in my potting soil and "fungus gnats" for a moment, I belive they have something to do with that because since, all the new leaves come out and finish to die, also on the eldest plant, there is some blackening (antraxose ???).

I also saw some white deposit on the dirt of the eldest when I removed the coco fibers I put to prevent the fungus gnats to lay eggs, a fungus but is it dangerous for my mango tree ?
If it is, I think hydrogen peroxyde (1 volume (0.3%)) could be something great, wouldn't it be ?

The pics:
4oDQgolQGoIhChVG.JPG

QOxEQtOSPpBZapb9.JPG

R9C6fL9plEZTaViP.JPG

10bhSlLHTDYOdSVb.JPG

PV327Ah1oAkWrtvm.JPG

91iLBz8qJnMqGygG.JPG

1dvxFcGORNOd8HIw.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey,
I belive some of you know I've been growing mangoes (and also peppers, ...) but my mangoes seems to be dying right now, all the 2 of them but as you'll see in the photos, the leaves are dying and there are fungis in one of the pots, a few months ago, I had some contamination in my potting soil and "fungus gnats" for a moment, I belive they have something to do with that because since, all the new leaves come out and finish to die, also on the eldest plant, there is some blackening (antraxose ???).

I also saw some white deposit on the dirt of the eldest when I removed the coco fibers I put to prevent the fungus gnats to lay eggs, a fungus but is it dangerous for my mango tree ?
If it is, I think hydrogen peroxyde (1 volume (0.3%)) could be something great, wouldn't it be ?

The pics:
4oDQgolQGoIhChVG.JPG

QOxEQtOSPpBZapb9.JPG

R9C6fL9plEZTaViP.JPG

10bhSlLHTDYOdSVb.JPG

PV327Ah1oAkWrtvm.JPG

91iLBz8qJnMqGygG.JPG

1dvxFcGORNOd8HIw.JPG
This looks like an overwatering issue, i.e the dried and blackened leaf margins. As for the fungus knats, they do not damage plants. They only eat dead decomposing organic material such as in your growing medium and usually only show up when the growing medium is too damp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your mango tree looks sad for sure, and I hope Chuck is right! Maybe you should let the soil dry up a little bit before watering it again while keeping a close watch on it! Good luck and keep us updated. I love mangoes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Ok, I'll stop watering, do you think a fan might help drying all of that humidity ?
also there are two plants, the second plant being in the fifth photo, however the soil isn't damp at all on this one ??? however the leaves are dying too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, I'll stop watering, do you think a fan might help drying all of that humidity ?
also there are two plants, the second plant being in the fifth photo, however the soil isn't damp at all on this one ??? however the leaves are dying too.
Stick your finger in the hole in the bottom of the pot. Very often the soil at the top of the pot is dry and the soil in the bottom is soaking wet. You cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill the plant by watering too often. Having said that, growing in a container poses problems when it comes to watering. The smaller the container the more often you have to water and it is difficult to maintain the proper moisture level. What I do is to stick my entire index finger into the soil and then blow on it. If my finger feels the slightest bit cool the plant doesn't need water at that time. When watering soak the plant thoroughly and if you can water from the bottom up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
I checked the two pots, one is humid but not too much (the small plant), in the other I cant see because when I transplanted, I put some clay balls to help drainage...
But you're right, one of the pots is damp because there are fungis :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I checked the two pots, one is humid but not too much (the small plant), in the other I cant see because when I transplanted, I put some clay balls to help drainage...
But you're right, one of the pots is damp because there are fungis :(
It might be wise to transplant them into larger pots. That way it will take longer in between waterings and you can inspect the root systems on the plants for rot which is caused by too much water. That way you will know for sure if over watering is the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry Chuck I have to disagree with you, I think the plants are diseased. I don't think it's anthracnose but I suspect either blight or canker. The blackness on the joint in the last picture also suggests blight to me.

To be on the safe side I would clear everything off the soil surface Nazmi particularly any dead leaves. I don't know if they can be treated if it is blight and I wouldn't know what to suggest either, sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sorry Chuck I have to disagree with you, I think the plants are diseased. I don't think it's anthracnose but I suspect either blight or canker. The blackness on the joint in the last picture also suggests blight to me.

To be on the safe side I would clear everything off the soil surface Nazmi particularly any dead leaves. I don't know if they can be treated if it is blight and I wouldn't know what to suggest either, sorry.
It could be a pathogen such as blight but blight normally shows circles or spots before the leaf margins die and/or have large black areas on the leaves. Canker usually shows small raised spots or enlarged veins similar to galls. It is almost impossible to diagnose from pictures but over watering is the number one cause of plant problems, especially in containers. That is why I suggest repotting, preferably with new soil and a larger pot. I think these are indoor plants so that should rule out any wind born diseases. Fungus or at least many types of fungus are caused by too much moisture and not enough air circulation. Either way it is a serious problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those young mango trees really look sad and dying. First things first is to get rid of the fungal growth. I think the picture showing the base of the plant is showing fungi growth on the soil surface which indicates that at least we can identify the main problem. Local plant sprays should be able to do the job. Neem oil is supposed to be good but it may cost a little bit. Baking soda solution in water, and if you have some insecticidal, can be sprayed once a week and things should start turning around. Let's know what works for you @Nazmi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I'm inclined to agree it's not canker Chuck but I've found blight doesn't necessarily start with spots. Whatever the outcome your suggestions for Nazmi to help the situation are the way to go, although I still don't agree it's a watering problem. :) I'm aware that Mangoes tend to suffer from a number of diseases which makes them challenging to grow, I don't think I'd bother. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Ok, I'll remove the top dirt and spray a bit of peroxyde and baking soda (I have both at home) to kill the fungis then I'll repot in sterilized media with more fungicids and
I belive that's all I can do for now

PS: also, could some air circulation and more light be an enhancement ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
All plants are better off with as much light as possible but I don't think it will help your current problem. Air circulation particularly draughts is probably not a good idea this time of year.

Please keep us posted on the Mangoes progress Nazmi.

Ask a Question