Ilex schilling dying in spots

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an ilex schilling hedge that is about ten years old. Earlier this past spring it started turning brown in some areas and has slowly died in those areas. Branches are bare but I can see new sprouts down inside. I cut away the dead brittle branches but it's getting to the point that it's destroying the whole hedge. I don't know if the hedge is dying or just getting too big? The spacing on the bases are about 18" apart, the depth is about 2' 6" and the height is about the same. I live on the gulf coast of Florida so water is not an issue. It gets sun from about noon time till sun set as it's on the front of my house which faces west. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome, and since someone else will probably ask I will get it out of the way now: do you have photos of the affected areas? Have you looked closely for evidence of insects? Do the stems have a different color or appearance in the areas you're seeing leaf drop?

Since you mention water is "not an issue" I wonder if maybe it is...as in too much water causing some sort of fungal or canker-type disease. Sorry I'm not really that helpful but maybe there's some things to look for or google?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will upload some photo's but there is no evidence of insects or discoloration in the branches. I don't think too much water is a possibility, yes we get a lot of rain but the hedge is under an eave that has gutters. I've talked to my local nursery and they can't explain it? One guy said that if I was seeing sprouts on the inside after I cut away the dead stuff that maybe the hedge was too big and need to be pruned way back, but I've seen ilex hedges that are much bigger than mine and flourishing. Not sure what I'm asking for, just wondering if anyone has had the same issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds like Box Blight, but I thought that only affected buxus...

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I removed the entire plant,and replaced it with new
one's.Now I'm back to the start I have same problem with the new plants.
The old plants that I removed were cut down to stumps and were placed in
large pots with new dirt, and you should see them now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It would be good to have seen photos of the shrubs and the soil condiotions they are growing in.
Schilling's Dwarf Yaupon Holly (Ilex vomitoria 'Schilling's Dwarf'), is a dwarf cultivar of an evergreen shrub native to the southeastern United States and parts of Mexico and Cuba. 'Schilling's Dwarf can grow 4 to 6 feet tall and may often be wider than tall. It is widely planted as it is considered an adaptable shrub able to tolerate slat air, wet soils and drought. It is also amenable to hedge pruning but can shade itself out if not pruned correctly.

Ask a Question