If you take a cutting from an old plant will the cutting be the same age as the plant or like new

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Like if I had a Christmas cactus that was 20 years old and and almost dead and wanted to take a cutting rather than buy a new one, would the cutting also be 20 years old and therefore it would also die soon too or would it be like a new fresh young plant which could last another 20 years or so if you know what I mean, same question with old rose bushes and herbs like basil i.e if I had a year old basil plant and took a cutting would that cutting be like a new young plant that's been grown from seed and last a long time or die around the same time as the mother plant

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The cutting is a clone of the parent plant. It will share the same genetic make up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
ps: Seed is usually the fertilisation process of pollen and stigma from different plants (but it could be the same plant). How closely resembles the new plant from the seed to the parent plant depends on how many different bits or chromosomes there are in the genomes of both parents. Take the case of apple seeds, the new plants seldom come true as the configuration is made much bigger because there are about 17 chromosomes in the genome of each parent plant. Don't expect to get Gala apple from a seed from a Gala apple (yes, my favorite!). You could easily end up with crab apple.

Extract from this link:

This duplication would explain why the apple, and closely related pear, genomes have 17 chromosomes, while all other plants in the Rosaceae family (including peach, raspberry and strawberry) have between 7 and 9 chromosomes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
The cutting is a clone of the parent plant. It will share the same genetic make up.

Thanks, so does that mean if I take a cutting from my 20 year old Christmas cactus which will probably die soon from old age, the cutting would also die soon is that correct?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
A cutting, when rooted, is a brand new plant. Your cactus would be young, and last quite a while with proper care (which you obviously provide, considering the age of the mother plant).
Think of cuttings as children. They share the genetic makeup of the parent, but are a child--new, vibrant, and in need of special care for the first month or so!

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your cactus should last some time, but cuttings are not the same as a seed grown young plant. A cutting from a mature flowering bush will flower much quicker than a seed grown plant of the same age. A similar thing goes for plants with juvenile foliage.

Ask a Question