If you had to eat just one fruit for the rest of your life...?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whatever the reason, if there was only one fruit that would be available to you, in an unlimited quantity, what would it be? This is not saying that it is your only food source, so your choice doesn't necessarily have to take into account nutrition. I am very partial to bananas, so I would probably pick them. They taste good, are one of the softest fruits out there, and are high in potassium, which helps lower blood pressure. Since we are talking about an unending supply, the fact they rot quickly wouldn't matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Actually, I always thought apples last a long time. I can buy some, leave them on the counter, and they last for weeks. I never put them in the fridge though. If I had to choose only one fruit, it'd be cherries. I love apples, too, but I can never finish a whole one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I was considering fruit that would keep for a long time, I would definitely pick apples. Sailors in centuries past carried barrels of apples because they can keep for a month or more. Unfortunately, apples aren't particularly nutritious, and completely lack vitamin C. For this reason, scurvy ran high on month-or-longer voyages.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd choose tomatoes. They're fruits, aren't they?:p I'm a tomato addict, I can't imagine my life without them. They're super delicious, versatile, easy to grow and very healthy.
Tomatoes are the best:love:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pears are good for you but not one of my favorite fruits. I like bananas and apples which we try to have in the house all the time. If I have to choose one fruit to have for the rest of one life I think I would choose a peach or a plum. Fresh juicy peaches. Plums are so good for you fresh or dried.

Reaction score
Although my automatic response would have been bananas - as it would be a fruit that I would have to eat over a long period of time - I think I would choose a stone fruit and most probably plums - as they are a little more versatile in that they can be eaten raw, cooked or dried which would stop them from getting boring and of course - if I was feeling a little thirsty I could also very easily make them into a drink :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Wow, that's a tough question. I think I'd tire of any fruit if I had to eat it every day. From a health point of view, however, I recently read that the fruit that has the best properties to help in preventing cancer is cranberries, so that might be a good choice. I don't think I've ever had fresh cranberries though, and I'm sure that dried ones have unhealthy preservatives so I'm not sure where I'd find them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for all the responses. After reading them all, I might reconsider! Fruits that are high in antioxidants might be the better call. I love blueberries, and they are really good for you. I would probably go with them instead. Another thing to consider is a fruit that's juicy and sweet, if it's going to be with you for life. That might include oranges, plums, or a ripe pear. I am making myself hungry for fruit now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hands down, apples. I can eat a nice tarty apple any day, everyday, by itself and cooked in many dishes and in salads. It's a very versatile fruit and long lasting, which makes it so appealing out of all the other fruits out there. Not only that but apple hormones can also help ripen other fruit. Oranges are up there too in tastiness and longevity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I would choose apples. Well, as they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away! I really love crispy apples. What's more, they can be kept fresh for a long time as long as they are stored properly. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Apples would be mine because they are my favorite fruit. They are also versatile in that you can put them in sweet or savory dishes.

Reaction score
Whatever the reason, if there was only one fruit that would be available to you, in an unlimited quantity, what would it be? This is not saying that it is your only food source, so your choice doesn't necessarily have to take into account nutrition. I am very partial to bananas, so I would probably pick them. They taste good, are one of the softest fruits out there, and are high in potassium, which helps lower blood pressure. Since we are talking about an unending supply, the fact they rot quickly wouldn't matter.
I would definitely have to say papaya. It's the most delicious of all fruits, if you ask me. It's also good for your digestion.

Ask a Question