Identifying plant nutrient deficiencies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just came across this chart online and thought I would share it here with all of you.

Symptoms+of+Element+Deficiencies+in+Plants.jpg

Of course, you may also need this chart as well since science class was quite a while ago for most of us:
slide1.jpg

It's pretty easy to make sure your plants get nitrogen and potassium with banana peels, and calcium with eggshells. If you're growing in containers you can easily amend your potting soil by adding these, just be sure you don't overdo it!

Reaction score
Oh, wow, this just might help me rescue my plants from...me! I've got to get back into learning javascript programming because it would be a cool little project to turn this info into a web app (or phone app) to help diagnose plant issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, wow, this just might help me rescue my plants from...me! I've got to get back into learning javascript programming because it would be a cool little project to turn this info into a web app (or phone app) to help diagnose plant issues.

LOL!

That would be a great idea; there are so many apps for so many things. You should probably do a bit of research to see what's out there. I think Sprout Robot may have something, but if I had an app friendly phone I would like to be able to take a pic of a garden pest and have it identified.

Reaction score
That is a very helpful resource you have there Chanell. There were so many questions about yellowing leaves on this site. i am sure all those people will get some ideas from this chart. Thanks for sharing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is a very helpful resource you have there Chanell. There were so many questions about yellowing leaves on this site. i am sure all those people will get some ideas from this chart. Thanks for sharing it.

Maddie, I am one of those with questions, lol! My Ixora has leaf issues and sometimes my milkweed leaves turn yellow. The ixora has been in it's pot for a while and may have developed some nutrient deficiencies. I'm giving it more attention now and it has finally produced buds and started flowering again. It's a constant battle trying to maintain these plants and keep them healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, this is really helpful, thank you for sharing it. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that my miniature roses don't lack any nutrient elements, they grow so fast and they look so healthy:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're welcome, Claudine. Your roses are probably less susceptible to certain issues because you keep them indoors. As long as you feed and repot them regularly you shouldn't need this chart, but just in case...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Actually, miniature roses prefer to grow outdoors, it would be better for them. I keep them in my room because I know that I would miss them terribly if I couldn't see them right after waking up in the morning:)

Reaction score
Thank you ChanellG :) This is very helpful! My plants are looking pretty good at the moment despite the massive rain we had last month. My pepper plants have seen better days but I don't think it is nutrients, I think it is the 95-100 degree temps that make them kind of blah.

Definitely great charts to refer to if I see a problem with any of them, I am not good with the different things needed in the soil yet and did not realize they needed this many nutrients!

Ask a Question