Identify This

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I bought this plant a few years ago and the tag it came with is long gone. Basically, I have no idea what kind of plant it is. I could swear it's a type of calathea. For the first time, it's blooming. The blooms look like the kind that come with peace lilies, which concerns me because I'm a cat owner. It doesn't look like a peace lily plant, though, so I thought someone here could help. I have two other calathea varieties. The only difference is I feel like those have more papery-feeling leaves whereas this one the leaves feel slightly more fleshy. One calathea is a rattlesnake and the other I don't know what, but I've had blooms at the base of that plant that look more flowery.

I know there are a zillion varieties, but I just want to make sure this isn't a peace lily. I'm tempted to just hack off the bloom.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You have a Chinese Evergreen [Aglaonema]. It is related to Peace Lily, but since the cat(s) hasn't/haven't chewed it yet there shouldn't be a problem. It's the whole plant that's toxic, not just the flower. Again, since it hasn't been a problem so far, there really isn't a reason to do anything. Also, if you leave the flower you might get pretty red berries in a few months.

Happy plant parenting

Ask a Question