Identify grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What is it? It can be seen in a patch in the pic background. Not that dark of a green
IMG_20190615_154512.jpg
IMG_20190615_154503.jpg
IMG_20190615_154459.jpg
IMG_20190615_154453.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I hope so, but I was thinking zoysia ran underground only? My neighbor has a large patch of hybrid zoysia across the drive behind the pics. That is also the direction of prevailing winds. Maybe seed blew over and got started.

Maybe its St. Augustine of some sort? It runs vertical roots from the nodes, runs via stolon, has that funny bent leaf? It looks too thick to be burmuda.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Zoysia will run on , over and thru anything including pavement and concrete! We put it in 20 years ago on our clay hillside yard. We get so many compliments on our grass but its impossible to keep it out of flowerbeds.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My first reaction was St. Augustine...but looking at the grass in the background looks more like Centipede.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My first reaction was St. Augustine...but looking at the grass in the background looks more like Centipede.
That is a very shaded area if it makes a difference. There larger areas of this grass in full sun. And this grass did not come on strong until it really got hot. I would say it began presenting thickly in mid to late May.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That is a very shaded area if it makes a difference. There larger areas of this grass in full sun. And this grass did not come on strong until it really got hot. I would say it began presenting thickly in mid to late May.

A good description of Centipede...does better in shade than St. Augustine which doesn't tolerate shade well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's NOT St. Ausgustine. St. Augustine doesn't make viable seed and that area is much to shady for that healthy of St. Ausgustine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am thinking centipede at this point. It is so thick out in the center of the yard I was thinking it might be carpetgrass, but when I go check I bet it has the same structure. It has that yellow green look like centipede is reported to have.

Ask a Question