Ideas for unique situation

Reaction score
Country
United States
For gardeners who love a challenge,

I have a pot by the entrance to our apartment. This pot is situated in a breezeway that gets no direct sun. Anyways, the space that’s bare that needs to be planted is very tight. Also, the water feature in the photo is connected to a water supply and the water feature itself doubles as an irrigation system so the soil remains constantly moist but not soggy. Because this is the front of the pot, I’d prefer spiller/creeping type foliage. I’ve tried creeping jenny and they did really well until about 2 months ago. There was a spider mite infestation but frequent neem oil treatments seem to be keeping them in check.

I’m in North Texas which is hot and humid

So to summarize,
Little to no direct sunlight
Very tight space.
Loves moist soil
Spilling/creeping foliage.

What do y’all suggest based on the information above? I attached a photo below for reference.

Thanks.
0FAE42DF-7221-449B-8A4C-4C269196CCBB.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's beautiful! <3 Great suggestion. I had something similar to that but it was more symmetrical. I dont remember the name.
Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' is a spectacular riot of color for wet conditions in sun or bright shade. The leaves have a refreshing pungency to them, and are used as both medicine and culinary spice in Asia.

I wonder what plant you are thinking of? Fuchsia x 'Autumnale' also has breath-takingly colourful foliage, but it is not nearly as cold tolerant. It might be my favourite Fuchsia, and it isn't even grown for its flowers!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did an image search and I found what I think I was referring to, but if it cant be grown in USA, then this is wrong. But it looks like this. https://ankurpalmplant.tradeindia.com/aglonema-376683.html
So it looks like a red-leafed Aglaonema. Other cultivated aroids that sometimes have red leaves include Caladium and Syngonium, but those leaves look different.

Could you be thinking of Polka-dot Plant (Hypoestes phyllostachya) in the Acanthus Family (Acanthaceae). The leaves are much smaller but the color and pattern is similar.

Anyway, there are many ornamental plants with dramatic leaf coloration, but it is a fun exercise to compare notes.

Ask a Question