Ideas for this area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For the most part, or garden is in good shape, a little shady in a few areas that's killing off the grass, but generally good. This area, however, is a problem. I have cleared out the weeds a handful of times, but they seem to come back with a vengence and are taking their toll on the bushes (azalea I believe. ..I have a horrible memory). The crepe myrtle in the background is struggling as well. I'm tempted to clear everything from around the oak and start from scratch. No more bushes that that nasty vine stuff can hide in until is big enough to strangle me! Something tropical looking, maybe super dwarf banana, hardy hibiscus, etc. What would you do with it?
20170607_064126.jpg
20170607_064139.jpg
20170607_064151.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'd clear out everything except the crepe myrtle and the azaleas, and by "clear out" I mean dig out roots and all. Anything you want to save, pot up temporarily, and possibly move to another spot in your yard.
I'd simply leave the azaleas and crepe myrtle and mulch heavily. Both plants are big enough to fight off the nasty vine until you can eradicate it with horticultural vinegar or with Round-up.
If you want color in that bed, I suggest salvia greggii, aka Autumn Sage. It comes in several colors, is perennial, and hardy as all get out. It does spread by root, but not so much that you can't keep it in bounds. Also, hummingbirds love it, as do butterflies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think I'm going to start as you suggest. Everything but the large bush in the back left and the crepe myrtl. I also want to save the amaryllis. I never get many flower from them, maybe this will give them a little better light and some breathing room. I'm going to try and keep it somewhat open around the base of the tree and maybe just go with a super dwarf banana on the right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Got most of it cleared this morning. I pulled about 30 feet of vine that was a good inch up to 2 or more! It was well tangled around the bushes, I don't think I could have got it out without killing what was left of them anyway. Amazing how much better it looks already! I'm going to mulch it and put a bench there where we can sit and watch the kids or just enjoy the garden. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
A great improvement! I especially like the wind chimes--a nice touch.
If you are considering a border, how about just digging a 6" deep trench around the area. No weed whacking needed for a hardscape border, just use an herbicide in the trench if grass starts to encroach.
Like the bench idea--make sure it's really comfy since you'll have a great spot to sit and enjoy your yard!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, it does look much better. Gives it a more open feel. All told I pulled probably 50 or 60 feet of that nasty vine that was more than an inch in diameter. Nasty, rubbery, tough stuff! There was a large knotty bulb line section to it, hopefully I got it all. If not, at least it will be easier to get to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A great improvement! I especially like the wind chimes--a nice touch.
If you are considering a border, how about just digging a 6" deep trench around the area. No weed whacking needed for a hardscape border, just use an herbicide in the trench if grass starts to encroach.
Like the bench idea--make sure it's really comfy since you'll have a great spot to sit and enjoy your yard!

That wind chime was a wedding gift from my uncle. I'm really glad to have a nice spot for it.

Not sure about having a6 inch trench. Seems like it would be a hazard and catch all the rain runoff. Maybe I don't understand the idea very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lowes had concrete benches on sale last week I think.

I'll take a look. I like the looks of the concrete, but I think I might want something a little more comfortable with a back rest. I'll have to look though, thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Vette-kid, I didn't explain very well about the border trench. Our soil is very heavy, so our trench is about 6" deep and 4" wide. It doesn't seem to present a hazard, and believe me, if there is a hole around, I'll step in it!
If your soil is sandy or light, a shallower trench would do fine. It's just a natural barrier that is easy to maintain, at least for us.

Ask a Question