Ideas for new house landscaping

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just recently moved and the current landscaping is messy and could probably use some help. I don't have much experience, but I'm excited to do it so I'm looking for a few suggestions.

1. I'm not sure what to do with the front of our house. the Boxwood in the corner isn't bad, but it smells like cat. The shrubs on the right hand side I don't know how to take care of and seem to grow out of hand quickly. The first picture was from two months ago. The other picture is more recent. I would like plants that are good in cold weather and won't look dead and horrible in the winter. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania.

2. We have a Rose of Sharon in the back. How do I cut it back? And can I cut it back or will it die? What I read said not to prune until fall/winter. But it look overgrown.

3. When is the best time to redo the landscaping? Next spring?

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_152841.jpg
    IMG_20190511_152841.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20190622_120829.jpg
    IMG_20190622_120829.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 360
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your best bet is to take these pictures to a local garden store and ask what they have that would work. We could give recommendations but that doesn't mean that it would be available in your area. The other thing is that you can see what the plant looks like in person. The best time would be in the fall when everything is on sale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Couple things. ride around look at other landscapes, plantings. And get a few good garden mags, educate yourself through those, by listing those you like based on your time you have to be involved, and your knowledge of gardening. take your time. Look for native plants also, they are good for the birds and bugs. Always liked craftsman style houses. good luck.

landscapingservice

Dew Smith
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello! From these pictures, you can take some ideas for new house landscaping.

Attachments

• residential gardening.jpg
    residential gardening.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 326
  • garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 287

Ask a Question