Idea for an old mailbox....

Reaction score
This morning I woke up to the sound of a loud noise coming from the street. When I got dressed and went to the front of the house to check out what it was, I noticed that my mailbox was completely run over. I went outside to check it out and then see that the person not only ran my mailbox over but also my neighbors across the street. My wife calls the police and they are there within 10 minutes. the person who hit it (really can't say hit more like completely ran it over) did not stop and kept going. There are parts of the guys bumper and wheel well liner left behind and I see that it is a ford probably a focus or fushion. While the police officer is taking my information another cop comes up and he goes throughout the neighborhood looking for the vehicle thinking that it was probably someone who lives around here. Just when the cop is finishing up with all my information and my neighbors info the other cop drives up and says that someone just called in saying that there is a gray car driving around on three wheels. They leave and I clean up the mess. Then we get a call about 30 minutes later saying they caught the guy, he had been seen driving around by the airport on three wheels and finally got his vehicle stuck in a parking lot after he shredded the tire off and was driving around on his rim. He is arrested for drunk driving and his insurance or he will have to cover the cost or my replacement mailbox.

So after I cleaned it up I didn't want to throw away the actual mailbox it was slightly damaged but still usable for something so this got me thinking. Years ago I had seen somewhere that someone had taken a mailbox and put out by their garden to use as tool storage and supplies by their vegetable garden. So this is what I am now going to do with it thanks to the drunk driver.... I am going to put my hand shovel, rake, twine, twist ties, and cutters in there. I will put a bead of clear caulk in the inside just to make sure that it does not leak. Now I need to get me some of those gel beads that soak up moisture to put in there to help keep them from rusting.

Reaction score
A brilliant idea for a banged up mailbox. I have a few of my own ideas.

You could modify it slightly and turn it into a birdhouse or bird feeder. You can remove the paint, stick on that rust looking stuff and use it as a retro type planter in your garden. Some herbs growing out of the holes would look awesome. You could even saw off the leg and fill it with rocks to create an interesting and memorable doorstop. Rust proof the mailbox, and use it as part of a water feature.

Jed

Reaction score
Now that's a novel idea. :) I'm forever walking around looking for my hand shovel. Two gardeners and not enough implements.

Reaction score
This morning I woke up to the sound of a loud noise coming from the street. When I got dressed and went to the front of the house to check out what it was, I noticed that my mailbox was completely run over. I went outside to check it out and then see that the person not only ran my mailbox over but also my neighbors across the street. My wife calls the police and they are there within 10 minutes. the person who hit it (really can't say hit more like completely ran it over) did not stop and kept going. There are parts of the guys bumper and wheel well liner left behind and I see that it is a ford probably a focus or fushion. While the police officer is taking my information another cop comes up and he goes throughout the neighborhood looking for the vehicle thinking that it was probably someone who lives around here. Just when the cop is finishing up with all my information and my neighbors info the other cop drives up and says that someone just called in saying that there is a gray car driving around on three wheels. They leave and I clean up the mess. Then we get a call about 30 minutes later saying they caught the guy, he had been seen driving around by the airport on three wheels and finally got his vehicle stuck in a parking lot after he shredded the tire off and was driving around on his rim. He is arrested for drunk driving and his insurance or he will have to cover the cost or my replacement mailbox.

So after I cleaned it up I didn't want to throw away the actual mailbox it was slightly damaged but still usable for something so this got me thinking. Years ago I had seen somewhere that someone had taken a mailbox and put out by their garden to use as tool storage and supplies by their vegetable garden. So this is what I am now going to do with it thanks to the drunk driver.... I am going to put my hand shovel, rake, twine, twist ties, and cutters in there. I will put a bead of clear caulk in the inside just to make sure that it does not leak. Now I need to get me some of those gel beads that soak up moisture to put in there to help keep them from rusting.
LOL that is quite a story. why not grow plants out of your mail box.. I am sure that you can put it tp good use by either growingplants in them or for your gardening tools.
cab54757b2845be4d54b31c3d7737172.jpg

images

Reaction score
What great ideas for old mailboxes. My brother has some old mailboxes in his shed that belonged to our grandparents (they saved everything). The storage compartment and flower pots both would put these old relics to good use instead of just taking up space in the shed.

Reaction score
All such great ideas. It would save me lots of steps if I did put them in one place. I also love the holders and bird house ideas. Great thread and tips!

Reaction score
Very good idea! You will have to post pictures of it when you are done because I cannot quite seem to wrap my mind around it.

We had a drunk driver take out ours last year. He was on a motorcycle with a 6 year old! I kid you not! He took out around 8 mailboxes on our road. He finally ended up in the ditch with a broken collarbone, neck and leg. Thankfully the 6 year old only had a few scratches on him. God was looking out for that child that day.

We took the old mail box and created a ladybug habitat for ladybugs. You only have to put a few sticks or bamboo poles inside of the mail box and almost fill it all the way up. Leave enough space so that they can crawl through the wood. Last year we had lots of rain so I did not see many ladybugs but I hope next gardening season it will be filled to the brim with those adorable creatures.

Reaction score
Great idea for reusing that mailbox! Kids tend to take baseball bats to the mailboxes around here. Thankfully, mine has been skipped. I did something similar, to keep my garden tools in. My grandmother has her old homestead behind the house she lives in now. She basically uses the thing for storage. A part of her vintage stove was still in there. I pulled it out and attached it to my porch to hold tools and such. It looks similar to the top part of this, and is the same color.
6a01053610d3e6970b0120a56c257a970b-pi

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We don't have mailboxes in the UK, just a hole in the front door with a flap.

Reaction score
@Mariam I am totally green with envy right now! I would be using that stove inside my house! It is gorgeous! If it is still in operational order and you ever wanted to sell it, you could make a mint off of it! :eek::D(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like the stove too!

We do have mailboxes here, in Poland, but unfortunately, they wouldn't make nice planters. They look like small, flat boxes attached to fences. Nothing special.
I would love to have a mailbox like this one:

50990_l.jpg

Reaction score

Sorry to hear that somebody ran over your mailbox. You could probably turn it into a window box and plant flowers in it. Or you can stick it in your garage or tool shed if you have one. You can store gardening gloves, seed packets, old pantyhose or strips of cloth for tomato ties, etc. etc.

Reaction score
That's horrible to hear what happened to you, I can't imagine the guy's situation. That is a very good idea to, but bird's might start going inside of it as well if it isn't tightened. You could just turn it into a bird house, if it is still usable enough.

Ask a Question