Icers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HOBUO 4 December 2011 Icers

There is usually ice on sideways and parking lots in my area most of the Winter. When going outside, I use a special pair of boots with icers installed. Walking about four km every morning, I have never slipped, when wearing this type of studded device.
Note: There are about 30,000 emergency hospital visits each year in Canada due to people falling, mostly on icy streets. Most people never wear icers. You figure.

4%20december%202011%20pomegranates%20017_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I remember carefully, carefully walking in wintertime upstate NY. Fortunately I never fell, but I'd have loved to have the security of those icers. I've never seen them before but they are a great idea.
I haven't put my sandals away yet . . . .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My experience:

The studs last about one year. Even when worn down they still prevent slipping. I walk in malls with them on and they don't mark the floor since the studs are rounded and almost smooth. They are a bit noisy though.

I tried almost all the types made. If there are too many studs they can be slippery since there is too much metal surface. Totally dangerous are the spring type, particularly on ice. They are OK on packed snow, but a real hazard on a hardwood floor.

The toe band type are useless, since a fall is inevitable when the foot is lifted. There must be studs in the heel area.

They can slip off the shoe and one is not aware. I tie a shoe lace across the toe to insure if they work loose that they remain on the shoe.

The cost can vary considerably. I buy usually from Marks. At the end of the season they often go on sale in the Spring. Lee Valley is over-priced. I notice over the last five years, they have become more common in various stores.

They are relatively difficult to pull on a shoe, so I simply have a pair of slip on boots and leave the icers on.

If there is any ice at all, I never step out without using them. A few falls convince one this is prudent.

They are truly a marvel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
It was minus 15C today and yesterday it was melting. The water froze into smooth ice. I walk with dog, Ginny, about 3 km every morning. This morning the walking path was almost completely smooth ice. The icers made walking a pleasure, no slipping at all.

Ask a Question