Iceberg lettuce help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I am doing a garden this year with one of my crops being iceberg lettuce. This will be my first year planting them so I hope to have a good outcome. I do know that this variety of lettuce requires a long growing season and cool temperatures to thrive. Ive also read that iceberg lettuce bolts at around anything over 80 degrees F. I started the seeds indoors and they sprouted about a week ago. My question is: if I transplant them in the ground around March 16 will it be too early, and if I plant them at that time can I expect a harvest by the end of may, before summer hits. I live in the southern PA region...Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all. I am doing a garden this year with one of my crops being iceberg lettuce. This will be my first year planting them so I hope to have a good outcome. I do know that this variety of lettuce requires a long growing season and cool temperatures to thrive. Ive also read that iceberg lettuce bolts at around anything over 80 degrees F. I started the seeds indoors and they sprouted about a week ago. My question is: if I transplant them in the ground around March 16 will it be too early, and if I plant them at that time can I expect a harvest by the end of may, before summer hits. I live in the southern PA region...Thanks in advance!!
I don't know your climate or weather but iceberg lettuce matures in about 85 days so 85 days from when you plant the seeds how hot will the weather be?

Reaction score
Country
United States
here the climate changes kind of quickly..usually march-april it averages mid 40's to mid 60's while may averages in the high 60's to mid 70's. at night from march to may it can range from mid 20's to mid 40's. I know by june it would be too hot. we also get nights where it might dip below freezing or have some days where it will be 80 degrees in april. but since I started the lettuce indoors should I start counting the 85 days when I first planted it or when I first transplant it in the ground..i have read that you count days to maturity when you transplant but then other sources say its when you first plant the seeds so im not too sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
here the climate changes kind of quickly..usually march-april it averages mid 40's to mid 60's while may averages in the high 60's to mid 70's. at night from march to may it can range from mid 20's to mid 40's. I know by june it would be too hot. we also get nights where it might dip below freezing or have some days where it will be 80 degrees in april. but since I started the lettuce indoors should I start counting the 85 days when I first planted it or when I first transplant it in the ground..i have read that you count days to maturity when you transplant but then other sources say its when you first plant the seeds so im not too sure.
I have it most accurate to count from when the seeds actually sprout

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok thanks for your input and help chuck! and esther..yeah I think next year I may do romaine instead of iceberg. it is alot easier to grow ive heard because of the shorter growing season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ok thanks for your input and help chuck! and esther..yeah I think next year I may do romaine instead of iceberg. it is alot easier to grow ive heard because of the shorter growing season.
And don't forget the literally dozens of Bibb and Leaf. There are all textures and colors that ;you can imagine,

Ask a Question