I wanna go outside!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Started from seed, now over two feet tall and flowering........just need the weather to stay a little warmer!

DSC03099.JPG
DSC03097.JPG
DSC03098.JPG

j.w

Reaction score
Boy looks like they better get into some bigger pots or they are gonna grow right into that table! I didn't start any this year again. Planning on being gone camping too much if it ever gets nicer here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't really want to re-pot them, again, I am thinking of biting the bullet and putting them outside this weekend, that is if honey tills the garden for me. We have an industrial type tiller, I can't handle it, too heavy. Then will just need to watch for freezes.

j.w

Reaction score
They keep saying here to put them outside when it's nice and then bring in at night to harden them off. If soil temps aren't consistently above 60F it can harm your plant and prevent them from growing good in the long run. You can cover them w/ a cloche to help keep them warmer. Tomato's from the garden are soooooooooo much better than from the store. They actually have flavor!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol tmann, I want to..................but honey wants to till the garden for me, so I am waiting for him to do it. Been busy putting plants in the ground. It is supposed to rain this weekend, sure hope so, then we drop into the low 30's again, so still too cold for them to go out. If you rush them here, the first crop of tomatoes have that blossom rot, you end up throwing most of them away, cause the soil is too cold and they can't use (if I remember right) calcium

j.w

Reaction score
Yep you are right if you put them out in that cold they will poop out on ya.
Getting a tomato plant into the ground when the soil is cold causes it to turn purple (purple foliage means the plant can't take up phosphorus). I'd wait till all danger of frost is over. I've read that tomato plants put outside later will catch up to the ones put out earlier quite fast. If you set a fan blowing on your toms it helps them to grow stronger in the house also. Don't set it on high and blow them to kingdom come tho,lol!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have screen doors on both sides of the sun room, the plants get lots of air movement. They now have baby tomatoes on them.

j.w

Reaction score
Geez they already have toms on them? Too cool, they need to get into the ground soon. Hope after you get your rainy weekend maybe you can get the ground tilled up and plant them if it's supposed to stay warm for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it will, we are heading down into the 30's snow north and west of us. Then back up. I repotted them again they are now in 2.5 gallon pots. The pepper plant has 10 blooms on it, read to make peppers. Next year I am not starting the seeds so early

j.w

Reaction score
When did you start them this year? Think when I start them some year again I will wait till March or April as we can't put them out here till mid may anyways. Although I grow mine in the green house so can put out earlier in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol no clue jw, just started them, think february. Mainly because the winter had been so warm.

I have a green house I hauled from arizona, one of my projects to get it set up this year, need to make a level spot in our non level yard and put it together.
It would work great for early almost spring type growing, cost way to much to keep warm in the winter to grow things.

j.w

Reaction score
Yep I agree even here it costs too much to run power to my green house. Not enough sun here in the winter anyway and would have to run lights etc. Only use it in Spring - Fall. Love the way tomatoes come out in there and they don't get their foliage wet so prevents blight. Peppers do well also and great for starting stuff you want to plant out in the garden. My cats love it too. They like to go in and sit on the table bench in the warmth to warm there buns!

Ask a Question