I need your help !

Reaction score
Country
Panama
My Cuban grandfather passed away about 18 years ago, and left behind their gardening tools, something that I have now. So I want to know what brand are them. For me is something special. Please I'll appreciate your help.
20161105_102140.jpg
20161105_102105.jpg
20161105_102140.jpg
20161105_102105.jpg

Attachments

• 20161105_102235.jpg
    20161105_102235.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 263
  • 20161105_102242.jpg
    20161105_102242.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hello @Joseph S. Do you have any idea of how old the tools are? Have you been able to identify the trade mark, maybe under magnification? Looks like it starts with a "C" and ends with a "B", with a couple of letters between. My guess is the tools were made in Cuba, second guess is that they were imported from one of the South American countries or possibly Russia. Do you have any people in Cuba who you could ask? Possibly the tools would be recognized by someone there. I agree that inheritance garden tools are very special, it would also be wonderful to know the approximate age. I would start by searching the internet for "Garden Tools from Cuba". There are quite a lot of websites that might provide some leads for you to follow. I wish i could be more help, but i do not recognize the tools.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't be much help either and Beverly's suggestion is a good start. I suspect perhaps made in the USA though. There's a small TM (trade mark) notation at the end of the name on the metal-handed one. Was that notation used in countries other than here?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
The US had a trade embargo with Cuba until very recently that goes back many years, maybe 40 or 50 years . i think when Jack Kennedy was President. Although those tools could pre-date the embargo...i am too pooped to look it up at the present time. We can now legally import cigars and rum which should make a lot of people happy. A quick look says TM is used in over 55 countries.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is the lettering painted, or stamped? I magnified the image as much as I can, and I think the word with "C" and "B" is "CLUB."

It looks painted to me. If it is, try shining an ultraviolet light on it, and maybe enough of the paint flecks will show up that you can read it. It might help to dim the lights to make it show up more.

In the thumbnail photo on the left, the tool looks stamped. It's got . OXO . in an oval, and I really .think the word after that is "Taiwan."

If it is stamped, try putting a piece of paper over it and lightly rubbing the paper with a piece of chalk, or the side of a pencil. Or maybe put a tiny bit of flour or talc on the handle, and see if you can rub it into the indent, maybe you can read it then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary your investigative skills continue to amaze and delight.:p There is a manufacturing company in Taiwan called OXO and also a chemical products company by that name. I don't know if the 2 companies are related and i only looked at the first page of the search because i started to fall asleep on the keyboard. :sleep:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary your investigative skills continue to amaze and delight.:p
:ROFLMAO: Not this time!! That was all power of observation. In other fonts, the capital L and U have a "flare" at the top. Like this: L U . I see that in the picture.

;) The UV lighting idea comes from being in bars. Rubbing paper with chalk or a pencil? Gravestone rubbings, mysteries, and cop shows. Using flour or talc... o_O I don't remember. Something on Nat Geo.

Edited to add: I think there's another word in front of "CLUB," but I can't tell what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
When i read the original post and looked at the 4 embedded photos, i noticed that they were duplicates and didn't think to look below so i was thinking where you managed to find OXO in those 2 photos:rolleyes:. If i can find a contact that will accept english as a language we could send an email and the photos to them and maybe get more information, like approximately how old they are. @MaryMary I think the brand is fairly clear. How confident are you re the Taiwan?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How confident are you re the Taiwan?
When I click the thumbnail, without blowing it up, I can clearly see "TAIW"
I'm a hair short of positive. :ROFLMAO:

After a brief look around the web, I learned that Taiwan's economy boomed from 50s to 80s from exporting manufactured goods. So that would place it at anywhere up to 65 years old. :unsure:

Are you posting from a computer? With a keyboard? If you are, hold down the control button on the keyboard, and scroll up on the mouse, it should enlarge the image. :oops: Well, that's what works on my computer...

If i can find a contact that will accept english as a language we could send an email and the photos to them and maybe get more information, like approximately how old they are.
A contact at OXO ? Might be easier to search for vintage tool collectors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary good work, i think that clinches Brand = OXO, manufactured in Taiwan.

Don't be so sure about finding a contact. Recently i contacted the Japanese manufacturer who made my eyeglass frames with a question (not a complaint). Promptly the question was answered and they expressed delight in hearing from me so far away, of course the Japanese are beautifully polite as a rule :).

@Joseph S. It appears the Brand is OXO manufactured in Taiwan, China. Is there anything else we can do for you today? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I found a OXO company in PA. that makes gardening tool, But it doesn't say how long they have been around, I do like the looks of their gardening hand too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
That's interesting, it must be a US division of the OXO in China who has the original TM apparently so i think the OXO in China must be the parent company. Actually, i think the PO of this thread has abandoned us so i'm not sure anyone cares any more. These were his Cuban grandfather's garden tools passed to him in Panama some 18 years ago so i thought i would help him out with his question, along with MaryMary and Beth_B. The Cubans in Cuba really do love their gardens. They even write songs about them.:)

Ask a Question