I made wine with saved fruit in the freezer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When freezer gets full enough I make 6 gallons of wine sometimes more, it only takes a month. Freezer is good way to keep fruit from going bad it does not all get ripe the same day. Winter is a good time to bottle wine being a prisoner in the house I have something fun to do. I have Cumberland Black Raspberries they are identical to Blackberries in the same berry family. I learned that I like factory RED BLEND wines so this year I made, Raspberries, Blue Berries, Strawberries, Plums, Grapes, Currents, Black cherries from a wide pin cherry tree, 1 can tart pie cherries, Molasses, Dark Brown sugar, 13% alcohol. Wine finished at .992 SG. with EC-1118 yeast. Wow best wine I ever made. I also learned to ferment whole berries with skins for best flavor. I picked 15 gallons of berries this year from my own plants. This summer I will make about 24 gallons of RED wine. I have about 200 empty bottles that I reuse over & over.

wine1.JPG

wine2.JPG

wine3.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, I see, so it is a dry wine.

I can't even imagine what it might be like. I'll re-post your ingredient list
I learned that I like factory RED BLEND wines so this year I made, Raspberries, Blue Berries, Strawberries, Plums, Grapes, Currents, Black cherries from a wide pin cherry tree, 1 can tart pie cherries, Molasses, Dark Brown sugar, 13% alcohol. Wine finished at .992 SG. with EC-1118 yeast.
So all those different fruits are fermented together in the same tank or barrel? ...and the grapes on the list are Cabernet Sauvingnon?

Reaction score
Country
United States

So all those different fruits are fermented together in the same tank or barrel? ...and the grapes on the list are Cabernet Sauvingnon?

I cleaned out, pantry, freezer, refrigerator. I found a 2 liter bottle of concentrated Raspberries in freezer, 2 pints of blackberry jam, 1 pint of plum jam, 1 pint of grape jam, 4 pints of strawberry jam, 1 box of currents, 2 quarts of blueberries, 1 quart of pin cherry jam, 1 jar of molasses, 1 can of pie cherries. Jam is concentrated flavor boil away water to make it thicker. I like Dark wine, RED mixed blend wine, Cab wine, I make lots of wine & buy lots of wine. I love very heavy body wine this should make a good wine. We had more home made jam in pantry from past 4 years than we will ever eat it needed to be gone. I picked gallons of Blackberries & Raspberries from my garden last summer. This year 24 choke cherry plants will be making cherries. Home made wine is good & almost free but factory wine is often better. This summer it will take 4 months to collect berries to make wine, strawberries are ripe in MAY, Raspberry ripe June, Black cherry, plums, blue berries July, Grapes & elderberries AUG. This summer I will try to make 30 gallons of wine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So then, this is a wine made in the style of a Cabernet Sauvignon wine? Your own take on a Bordeaux?

I'm still very curious as to how the wine actually tastes, but it is wonderful that you can make it.

The adjective 'Jammy' is often used by wine tasters. It might make sense to use jam.
Did the jams you used have extra pectin and sugar in it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Oh tell me you do not drink a sweet red!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't drink much at all, but when I do, I may very well decant the ruby port and serve it with chocolate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh tell me you do not drink a sweet red!

I hate sweet wine. I like wine SG .990 to .994 best. I buy a lot of wine Cabernet Sauvingnon & Red Blends & try not to buy anything over .995 SG. I check SG of factory wine that I buy and make notes. When I go to the monthly wine group meeting I usually find new wines to buy. I quit making wine for 5 years but got back into it again because I have 15 gallons of blackberries in my berry patch every July. I might have Choke Cherry this year. Apothic Red is so good I buy it by the case. If you buy Liberty School be sure it says RESERVE there is an identical bottle that does not say reserve it is not as good. 7 moons RED label is better than black label. Robert Mondavi has ages in RYE barrel Red Blend and ages in oak whisky barrel Cabernet Sauvignon. The Federalist is excellent I need to buy this by the case too. The Franc & The Dark are 2 old favorites I use to buy it by the case. I discovered Stirling RED blend a month ago wow this is amazing good wine. Sterling has others even CAB but none as good as this red blend. Factory wine is more FUN than home made wine there are 100s of different ones to try. 60 bottles of the same home made wine gets old its not as fun as Factory variety a different flavor wine every night. I need to start buying a case of factory variety these 10 wines.

I hate when auto correct changes words to something that makes no sense. Wild Pin Cherries, not, wide pin cherry. I wish this 50 foot tall dark cherry tree was not 25 miles from my house wow these cherries make the best wine.

100_3666.JPG

100_3665.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you find the flavour and other qualities of your multi-fruit wine comparable to those made from only grapes, either Vitis vinifera or otherwise? Preferences and quality aside, it just seems like the end product would be remarkably different.

Of course, there are interesting and delicious libations made from all types of fermentable plants substances. I'm not claiming that traditional wine recipes are better a priori, but I would think the two products would be distinct.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you find the flavour and other qualities of your multi-fruit wine comparable to those made from only grapes, either Vitis vinifera or otherwise? Preferences and quality aside, it just seems like the end product would be remarkably different.

Of course, there are interesting and delicious libations made from all types of fermentable plants substances. I'm not claiming that traditional wine recipes are better a priori, but I would think the two products would be distinct.

My homemade wine from my home grown berries is not even close to $15 per bottle factory wine its more like $5 per bottle factory wine. If I make wine from factory wine kits then I can make good wine comparable to $25 per bottle factory wine if it ages 5 years. I am tired of making wine it has turned into more work than fun but I don't know what else to do with 15 gallons of blackberries every July.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
So a 'Blackberry CAB' is a wine made from blackberries that is somehow similar in style to a wine from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, but does not actually contain that grape varietal. Is that correct? That is what confused me earlier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So a 'Blackberry CAB' is a wine made from blackberries that is somehow similar in style to a wine from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, but does not actually contain that grape varietal. Is that correct? That is what confused me earlier.
Brother we have to go canoeing. There is this canoe renting farmer that will outfit your canoe with a gallon of blackberry wine for the 10 mile run.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So this is would be a dry blackberry wine? It would be interesting to try a glass, but not a gallon, and not while operating watercraft.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cabernet Sauvignon is a very full body wine usually made with all fruit & juice with no water added & no sugar added. Certain grapes are traditional to cab they have lasting flavor after being fermented. Some grapes loose flavor when fermented. Laws don't allow wine makers to add sugar. Hybrid grapes have higher sugar than other grapes. If grapes don't have enough sugar to produce SG of 12% or 13% alcohol then water needs to be boiled away so juice & sugar is concentrated to get 13% alcohol this produces a full body wine. I have done this at home it is a lot of work boiling away water to concentrate flavor & sugar to get 13% alcohol. That is one reason I made this wine it has been 18°F almost every night for a month extra heat is welcome in winter but not in 100° summer weather.

Ask a Question