I have this Mock OIrange bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I have this Mock Orange I was told not to buy because they just do not do well in this area.
Never the less I bought it during the fall get rid of every thing at any price. I paid $5.00 for it got it home and decided to plant it near some lilacs.

That bush blooms every year with loads of beautiful white blossums. I really love it and would dearly love to make more just like it.
I have read I can make a new bush from shoots off the orginal plant.

If that is so please advise me of the proper correct way to do that.

Al

Reaction score
Country
United States
While the plant is in vegetative stage you can cut off a twig about 6 or 7 inches long. Take off all the leaves except the top two and saving the growing shoot or tip. Put that in clean bottled water, not tap, and allow it to root in a bright spot. You need to change the water every 3 days for it to root fast. It will take about 10 or 12 days. When you see roots, put it in a small container and put it in the same area as the Mother for the correct lighting match.

Another way is to take a larger wood cutting in the vegetative stage and put it directly into soil and it will root. Taking cuttings and rooting them is so much fun and worth the time.

Attachments

• IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a cutting of a larger plant that rooted in 12 days in Clean water.

Attachments

• rubberinwater.JPG
    rubberinwater.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 98
  • rubberroot.JPG
    rubberroot.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 5th.JPG
    5th.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Just why bottled water from a welland not tap water?
Our tap water comes from a well too.

Anyway thanks.

Al

Reaction score
Country
United States
Without testing the ppm and pH of your well water I couldn't recommend it, however with bottled distilled or RO water I know what the ppm or EC is. By all means give your water a try first, because your well water may be the very best water for rooting. If you have problems with the rooting then the water change would help. Put the cutting in bright area that gets no direct Sun and change the water every 3 days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
OK will give it a try. Our well water is all filtered at least once and the drinking water goes thru a reverse Osmosis system.
Of course is supposed to rain Sunday so can get some fresh rain water also.

thanks

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my mother had one, in Ohio, Cleveland area, and that area gets a ton of snow early in November. It was always there, always blooming in the summer. just saying. And she did little with it. it was in semi shade as I recall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please keep me posted trail twister and if you have any problems let me know, because there are other ways to get roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have worked for a lady who had a mock orange bush by her back porch floor. It took detail pruning to remove the dried flowers. However, the bush flowered beautifully.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming of course everybody is talking about Philadelphus and not any of the other plants that can have the common name mock orange.

Ask a Question