I have patchy yellow grass near to my leylandii bushes

Reaction score
My lawn gets progressively unhealthier as it gets closer to my leylandii bushes. Admittedly they are huge and must have large roots under the lawn taking nutrients.

Does anyone have any tips to sort this out?

Jed

Reaction score
Maybe the soil is dry and impoverished close to your leylandii bushes and lacks nitrogen. Perhaps you can dig a trench close to your hedge and mark that area off using pinebark as a border.The trench will sever the roots and you could then allow the grass to grow up to the trench.Your winter will soon be upon you so it's a good time to revitalise the grass. A dressing of dolomite and some aerating may improve your lawns condition as the soil may have become too acidic. If you haven't overdone the ammonia sulphate then reapply it in the spring.:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, The trench sounds like a good idea and would actually make the lawn look square and neat.

I will buy some of this dolomite and do the aeration like you say. I still need to give it a final mow before winter anyway as it is far too long and the rain has stopped me doing it recently.

Ask a Question