I have a blank slate to garden in - but no ideas!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there! Brand new to gardening and have some questions - this forum looked like a good place to start!

I have a plant bed in my front yard (see attached photo) that butts right up against the front of the house. Gets direct sunlight half the day (faces west), and shade the other half of the day. Its about 15 feet long and two feet deep. The trees and solar lights in the attached photo didn't even make it through one winter, so they've been removed and the plant bed is a blank slate. I'm in Aurora, ON (southwestern Ontario, Canada). Am wondering if anyone has guidance on what would be nice to plant here?

I travel a lot so it really needs to be low maintenance. And I love gardens that are colourful and wild, not overly manicured. I live close to a gorgeous and comprehensive nursery, so can access just about anything. Would love plants that are native to the area to encourage the natural biodiversity. Am interested in perennials so I don't have to start from scratch every spring.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, friends!!

IMG_6836.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Something with some height in the center-ish. Apple / peach / plum tree trained against the house? Cold hardy fig? Service berry? Honey berry?

Flowers: daisy for white, coneflowers for purple, black-eyed susan for yellow.

Mid height ornamental grass?

Resist the urge or recommendation for a climbing ivy - while it may look cool the anchors it sets out can damage the stone and mortar work.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for this!

Is there any concern that a tree in the centre would damage the foundation? Love the idea of something with height in the centre!!

Something with some height in the center-ish. Apple / peach / plum tree trained against the house? Cold hardy fig? Service berry? Honey berry?

Flowers: daisy for white, coneflowers for purple, black-eyed susan for yellow.

Mid height ornamental grass?

Resist the urge or recommendation for a climbing ivy - while it may look cool the anchors it sets out can damage the stone and mortar work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks so much for this!

Is there any concern that a tree in the centre would damage the foundation? Love the idea of something with height in the centre!!
You do 20 minutes of pruning a year and keep a semi-dwarf fruit tree trained and in check I'd have no worries at all.

Look up espalier trees.

You plant something like a black walnut, willow, or silver maple next to the foundation and ignore it and you're asking for trouble.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You do 20 minutes of pruning a year and keep a semi-dwarf fruit tree trained and in check I'd have no worries at all.

Look up espalier trees.

You plant something like a black walnut, willow, or silver maple next to the foundation and ignore it and you're asking for trouble.
Incredible advice, thank you so much!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Addy. :) I'm sorry but I disagree with Mr_Yan. Planting any tree in that situation is much too close to the house. It doesn't matter how much you prune the top growth, the roots will still grow and spread, eventually damaging the foundations. I had a similar situation many years ago from my neighbours hedge that was just 12ft from my house, it damaged my drains and foundations.

Looking at your picture I think there are already a couple of conifers planted there, I'd be inclined to dig those out and move them much further away from the house. Conifer roots are shallow but will spread looking for water and it's amazing how much damage they can do in the process.

It's a narrow strip of soil and difficult to suggest what to grow there regarding growth and the plants survival. My own thoughts would be to move the paving slabs away from the wall another 2ft and then have deep plant troughs along it. Some ideas in the link below.

Ask a Question