I got a juicer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently got a new juicer and am excited to get started using it and making some garden fresh drinks for myself. Do any of you have any special recipes you use to make your own juice? I would like to make juices with both fruits and veggies so that I get a lot of nutrients.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Which juicer did you get?. Most of them nutritional wise verge on being useless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I really like apple, pear and spinach mixed together - not too much spinach, but enough that I know I'm sneaking some greens in there. I don't have my own juicer though but there's a good juice bar at a mall near my house that has all manner of juices and smoothies.

The thing I hate about juicers is cleaning them out - that can be a pain!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My mother is being fed with soft diet since her stroke left half of her body paralyzed, that includes her throat. And to avoid choking, she is not given solid food. The juicer is very important for her because she can be given a variety of fruits and even vegetables with the use of the juicer in a mixed combination. However, the juicer being offered to us was so expensive - the vendor said it is made in Korea - so I'm still thinking. But it looks good, very convenient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got the Bella brand one. It is large and has a big repository on top in which to stuff it with fruit and veggies. I was thinking of making some sort of apple juice with it to begin with, but I am not sure yet what type of vegetables I could mix with it to make it taste good. I am going to have to do a lot of experimenting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I got the Bella brand one. It is large and has a big repository on top in which to stuff it with fruit and veggies. I was thinking of making some sort of apple juice with it to begin with, but I am not sure yet what type of vegetables I could mix with it to make it taste good. I am going to have to do a lot of experimenting.

Another combination which I quite like is apple, carrot and ginger. It'll probably depend if you like ginger or not as to whether you'll like that mix, but I love the zing that ginger gives!

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm thinking of getting one as well :) Thinking of the nutri bullet! Has anybody tried it? Is it any good? I have heard wonders about it :) We had a big juicer before, but I stopped using it because it was such a hassle to clean that thing... The nutribullet looks much easier to clean though :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My favorite is apple, celery, carrot and a little piece of ginger! On a good day, I will add whatever greens we have in the house to give me the feel of being healthy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My favorite is apple, celery, carrot and a little piece of ginger! On a good day, I will add whatever greens we have in the house to give me the feel of being healthy :)
That variation actually sounds really good. I think I would add some kale or green lettuce to mine. I have not attempted to make juice so I am not even quite sure if lettuce would run through the machine yet. I think what I am craving the most is a tall glass of fresh orange juice with some pineapple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
Awesome! I love my juicer, but it can get expensive to use since the price of produce has gone up so much. I love juicing apples, carrots and oranges together. It tastes amazing and is awesome for your body. If you don't think carrots taste good in there, you should definitely give this a try because I think you will be impressed. You can barely even taste the carrot juice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Sounds great!:) I love plain orange juice, and bananas and strawberries mixed together. Sometimes I add spinach to them, but I don't do it often, because I don't like the taste of it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I practically live on my juices. I juice everything. Here is a repository of about five years. http://durgan.org/2011/

At one time I use to make about a weeks supply of raw juice which was simply raw fruits and vegetables beat to a pulp in a blender, and stored in the refrigerator until consumed. I had to buy the fresh produce during the non growing season in my area.

After some experimentation and effort I decided to cook the produce, blend, strain to remove the gross fiber, and pressure can for storage at room temperature.The growing season of 2015 I processed 500 liter jars of produce. To my surprise I found using this method as opposed to raw was a big improvement, since I am of the opinion that the body utilizes the juice better cooked as opposed to raw. Plus the fact that some material cannot be juiced

What I am saying is a blender and strainer of about 2mm mesh is the best juicer one can utilize.
This is a typical example of the method.
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August 2015/29 August 2015 Six Vegetable Juice/HTML/ 29 August 2015 Six Vegetable Juice
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AFHEN 20 January 2015 Navel Oranges Processing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
South Africa
Good for you on wanting to get more fruit and veg in!
I have to share my juicing experience, my husband and I watched the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" and were inspired to buy a juicer and improve our raw food intake.
Our flavor combos were fun to play with but from the start I felt unwell and thought, ok, normal detox symptoms, and as the days went by we were having juice for at least one meal a day and I steadily felt worse and worse, ending up in hospital with a raging kidney infection... I had forgotten one very important thing... drink a ton of water when trying anything new!
So please remember to increase your water intake!
(p.s. I count face the juicer again after that, we switched over to the nutribullet and now we have a green smoothie for breakfast every day - much better)

Reaction score
That's a great idea I have a blender that I use for sauces but I never thought of making healthy drinks myself. I have a tarragon and ginger plants in my garden that I use to make tea though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Juicing. Raw or Cooked
For years I did the raw route. Now I am convinced that cooked is better, plus the variety is probably more extensive. Now I am an advocate of cooked, since I believe the body utilizes it better.
My new method.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YLVDA 25 June 2012. Twelve Vegetable Juicing.The produce was prepared for processing utilizing the complete product, skin and all.It is propagated that most of the nutrients in fruits and vegetables is just under the skin, so I decided to utilize this bit of knowledge.Experience has indicated that cooked produce is more digestible than raw in general. My method is to cut all the produce into small chunks, minimum cooking, and make into a slurry using the hand blender. Sufficient water is added to obtain the appropriate desired viscosity. A total of nine litres of water was added.The slurry is then put through a strainer. The output of the strainer is put through a Champion Juicer to extract as much nutrient as possible, then mixed with the strainer output, and stored in litre jars. For long term storage at room temperature it is pressure canned for about 15 minutes at 15 PSI. There was a total of 15 litres and 14 were pressure canned and one was left in the refrigerator for current use. A litre of the juice is consumed daily. Pictures depict the process.

My old Method.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YTLUO 5 June 2011 Juice
Purchased fruit and vegetables were made into juice. Total cost $28.02 (less than a bottle of whiskey).There is no produce in my garden at this time of year, so store bought is the only choice, and all my juices prepared during the 2011 season have been depleted.
Juice is made utilizing fruit and vegetables that are available. Each product is blended with water then placed in a large container and mixed and blended a second time to make a the mixture homogenous. Sufficient water is added to make the mixture adequate for drinking. One or two glasses is consumed daily. Any fruit and vegetable is used, except for the pulpy types, which are eaten individually. The mixture stores without deterioration for about 8 days in sealed containers in the refrigerator.

Ask a Question