I FOUND A GREEN CATERPILLAR!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I had these small holes everywhere on my plants and I just found a green caterpillar stretched out from my tomato flowers.

How can I find more? Are there any cheap homemade solutions for these pests?

I immediately killed the caterpillar and tried to look for more to no avail. Where can I find more? Where do they usually hide?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was this caterpillar a hornworm or a tiny looper? Hornworms can be found anywhere on a plant. Loopers are normally found on the underside of leaves. The best cure for caterpillars of all types is Bt or spinosad. I know of no decent home made solution to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you. I was trying to find out what caterpillar it was. I thought it was a horn worm, but it had no horns and looked nothing like it. It is a looper. I tried looking at the undersides of leaves but I couldn't find any more.

I have a bunch more holes on the other tomato plants and melons, so there must be more "looping" around. Yes, pun intended.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
@Chuck
After making my last post, I went out to my garden and looked at every leaf--both over and under and you wouldn't BELIVE what I saw.

Almost every stem of leaves had either a cabbage looper, or a horn worm. We have both! I completely removed the entire population from the tomato plants. I killed them on the spot.

I tried checking the honey dew melon which also had holes, but I didn't find a single one. I'm guessing they went after the tomatoes.

So, about the spinosad. I'm buying a bottle tonight! This is ridiculous. How do these worms even manage to climb the containers??

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
i have holes in almost every tree and plant in my garden (avocado, tomato every where) i tried to find at least one warm with no success .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Maybe it's not worms that's causing it. I recommend you make a thread and post pictures of the damage with as much as evidence as you can. I bet people here can help. :)

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
i thought of spraying something but am not sure yet if i want to spray anything, fall is on the doors and leaves will be gone soon but the olive trees, olive trees are hardy and they are hundreds of years old in my garden so am not worry about them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
If the pests aren't severely damaging your plants/trees it's ok to leave it be. But don't let the problem get too out of hand where it's too late.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
If the pests aren't severely damaging your plants/trees it's ok to leave it be. But don't let the problem get too out of hand where it's too late.
your right but i think winter will cure every thing, till the spring will see how things goes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck
After making my last post, I went out to my garden and looked at every leaf--both over and under and you wouldn't BELIVE what I saw.

Almost every stem of leaves had either a cabbage looper, or a horn worm. We have both! I completely removed the entire population from the tomato plants. I killed them on the spot.

I tried checking the honey dew melon which also had holes, but I didn't find a single one. I'm guessing they went after the tomatoes.

So, about the spinosad. I'm buying a bottle tonight! This is ridiculous. How do these worms even manage to climb the containers??
They don't climb. Moths lay minuscule eggs which hatch into caterpillars. You may think you have killed them all but you haven't...Spinosad based products are the best all around pesticide there is but Bt is by far the best for caterpillars. It only kills caterpillars but it is less expensive than spinosad. If you are going to be a serious gardener you should keep on hand Spinosad, Bt and Neem Oil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Will bt also kill whiteflies? I have a white fly problem as well. If not, what organic product will kill both whiteflies and caterpillars?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Will bt also kill whiteflies? I have a white fly problem as well. If not, what organic product will kill both whiteflies and caterpillars?
No, Bt only kills caterpillars. White fly is a difficult thing to kill. Spinosad and/or Neem are the only organic means of controlling them. Are you sure it is white fly? White fly is normally found in greenhouses. There is another insect that looks like white fly but is really the first stage of scale and Neem is the best for them. If it really is white fly then spinosad is best. Spinosad will kill both but it takes longer. Bt will kill caterpillars within 12 hours, spinosad within 48 hours but spinosad kills just about everything. Spinosad will also kill the early stage white fly with direct contact. Neem is also a direct contact killer for white fly and scale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I am sure that they are white flies. I have neem oil. Can I mix neem oil with bt to make my own insecticide? I would prefer the bt because it is cheaper and better at its job than spinosad.

Ask a Question