I am turning into Colin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
044258BA-E4CD-4617-8FB6-DF6E144BD328.jpeg
480BA64D-F2E6-4F52-98E6-25B2395DA0B7.jpeg
I went to an industrial auction yesterday with the intention of buying a tractor and possibly a dump truck. Instead I came home with a bandsaw. A really heavy bandsaw. It is a large industrial one and came with5 new wood cutting blades. Tomorrow I will disassemble it and start sanding it for painting. While it is apart I will check out the motor and bearings. It must have been hardwired into a line because the electric cable is cut. My wife asked me what the heck I was going to do with it - I told her I was going to cut things. I wish Colin was closer so he could supervise the rebuilding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wonder why they have wood blades on a meat cutting saw that still has blood stains on it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, there are a lot worse things than turning into Colin! Perhaps he can advise you if you hit a snag with your bandsaw. We have one, no where near as heavy duty as yours, but we find it invaluable.
Enjoy your new toy, er, tool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Why is it not painted olive drab? It looks to be ex-US Military. Its certainly built to a MIL-Spec according to the plate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I wonder why they have wood blades on a meat cutting saw that still has blood stains on it?

It looks like at some point someone tried to use this for wood cutting. The blades were not on the saw itself but in a box hanging from the neck. Actually the only variables on a bandsaw are the blade teeth and the blade speed. Since it is military, I’m sure they used it to cut spam. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like at some point someone tried to use this for wood cutting. The blades were not on the saw itself but in a box hanging from the neck. Actually the only variables on a bandsaw are the blade teeth and the blade speed. Since it is military, I’m sure they used it to cut spam. :)
A wood band saw can also cut angles because the table tilts and sometimes the arm can tilt so as to cut compound angles. This saw can only cut 90's. This saw has a sliding table which enables one to cut large sections of meat such as a hindquarter. I really don't think it would be suitable for wood. Check out the kerf of the blades. A meat blade has more or less straight teeth while a wood blade has offset teeth.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I literally remember cutting up Moose with my Father on a saw like that. Cool memories guys. Thank you!
You guys are advanced and lucky. I remember if we cut anything, it would be the cleaver!

upload_2018-5-7_5-48-0.jpeg

Nothing mechanical and technical like this machine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I literally remember cutting up Moose with my Father on a saw like that. Cool memories guys. Thank you!
When I was much younger I had a winter job in a deer processing place where I would unload,skin, cut into however the hunter wanted his deer cut up, package and quick freeze it. We did all kinds of game, hogs, deer, exotics but were not allowed to cut up non-game animals. The saw I used was like the one pictured except not as big. The one pictured is industrial sized. I would imagine it was used in a meat packing plant under a government contract.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have been digging into this thing and it is rock solid. I may just clean it up, paint it and try to sell it since I am in the heart of deer hunting territory. I still would like to fix it up for wood but if I could make a few dollars......

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have been digging into this thing and it is rock solid. I may just clean it up, paint it and try to sell it since I am in the heart of deer hunting territory. I still would like to fix it up for wood but if I could make a few dollars......

Why not? Make sure you start a bit higher and wait. I have always named my prices low until people were fighting over the stuff. I put mine on gumtree and sell them for free!

Ask a Question