I’m totally new with no previous experience

Reaction score
Country
United States
So today I built a raised garden on my deck. I don’t have a clue what I’m doing to be honest, I’m wanting to grow vegetables in it. In the picture it isn’t all the way finished but it’s just 4 feet wide and 8 foot long I put 2x4 on the bottom for drainage and garden wire netting on the bottom then the landscape fabric.

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Joshuafreeman .
In my humble opinion all these raised beds are just a bit of a fad! Your vegetable would be much happier if you dig a good old fashioned veggie bed - in the ground, and plant stuff in there. Landscape fabric will render your soil useless, and leave the ground without worms. Your vegetables will be easier to feed, and will benefit hugely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The thing is I don’t have anywhere in my yard that would be a good place for them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Go for it! As you grow you will learn what works and what does not. Take plenty of pictures along the way. There are lots of stages, and sometimes things are fine up to a certain stage then it comes off the rails. Pics help sort it out and are a good reminder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Joshua. :) Sorry I agree with Tetters about raised beds being a fad but they are useful if you haven't got the ground for a vegetable plot. As a novice gardener it's good to start on a small scale and learn by trial and error, so as DirtMechanic says - "go for it!"

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have both in-ground and raised beds. The raised beds are easier to weed, and when planted with the right crops, do well. Don't try anything big like okra or corn--stay with the smaller vegetables like lettuces, radishes, green beans, and bush squash (there are vine types that will overrun your raised bed.)
My only concern is that this raised bed is on your deck. How impervious to water is your deck? You may rot out part of your deck under the bed, but it would take a couple of years or more.
If you are totally new with no previous experience, how do you know there is no place in your yard for an in-ground garden?
How about telling us where in the US you are, your growing zone and perhaps a photo or two of your yard. You'd be surprised how inventive and informative the members are here!

Ask a Question