I’m totally new with no previous experience

Reaction score
Country
United States
So today I built a raised garden on my deck. I don’t have a clue what I’m doing to be honest, I’m wanting to grow vegetables in it. In the picture it isn’t all the way finished but it’s just 4 feet wide and 8 foot long I put 2x4 on the bottom for drainage and garden wire netting on the bottom then the landscape fabric.

Attachments

• A12A9CDA-D14A-413F-8A99-EE9057EC3104.jpeg
    A12A9CDA-D14A-413F-8A99-EE9057EC3104.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 211
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Joshuafreeman .
In my humble opinion all these raised beds are just a bit of a fad! Your vegetable would be much happier if you dig a good old fashioned veggie bed - in the ground, and plant stuff in there. Landscape fabric will render your soil useless, and leave the ground without worms. Your vegetables will be easier to feed, and will benefit hugely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Go for it! As you grow you will learn what works and what does not. Take plenty of pictures along the way. There are lots of stages, and sometimes things are fine up to a certain stage then it comes off the rails. Pics help sort it out and are a good reminder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Joshua. :) Sorry I agree with Tetters about raised beds being a fad but they are useful if you haven't got the ground for a vegetable plot. As a novice gardener it's good to start on a small scale and learn by trial and error, so as DirtMechanic says - "go for it!"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have both in-ground and raised beds. The raised beds are easier to weed, and when planted with the right crops, do well. Don't try anything big like okra or corn--stay with the smaller vegetables like lettuces, radishes, green beans, and bush squash (there are vine types that will overrun your raised bed.)
My only concern is that this raised bed is on your deck. How impervious to water is your deck? You may rot out part of your deck under the bed, but it would take a couple of years or more.
If you are totally new with no previous experience, how do you know there is no place in your yard for an in-ground garden?
How about telling us where in the US you are, your growing zone and perhaps a photo or two of your yard. You'd be surprised how inventive and informative the members are here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
good luck and start slow. if you are looking to keep veggies on your deck, consider container growing vrs raised bed on deck. have fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I totally understand about not having a place in yor yard to plant anything. I have hard-as-rock clay soil. Your raised bed looks too shallow to plant tomatoes in unless you go for dwarf types. Tomatoes need a deeper place. You can plant those in Gro-Pots, or five gallon buckets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Your bed isn't too shallow; in the UK people grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, aubergines etc. in growbags which are about 4" deep.
You'll have to keep up with the watering, all the same.
Note the depth at which the stem is planted...

From the BBC:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tomatoes need a lot of root room!!! They can't be happy in itty bitty containers. And notice how sickly looking the peppers look in that last video? You cannot plant big veggies like that in small containers. Cucumbers, however, keep their roots shallow, so you could try cucumbers in your raised bed if you also build a trellis. Lettuce can be grown in there through wintertime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For extra growing space, you could try Gro-Bags. They are a very popular fabric pot to grow many things in.

Attachments

• IMG_20190520_112501.jpg
    IMG_20190520_112501.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 191
P

Peace perfect peace

Greetings,
And welcome to the forum, You'll find a very cross section of people here and ive found all very keen to both make friends and if poss give good advice,

My very very best advice is to have time to read and study what type of gardening your wanting to do,
And you'll find some very experienced garden writers pointing you in the direction of gardening in small non garden idea's,

You'll need to know what your subject is allowing you to grow,

So two things to think about (1) your keen and i wouldn't like to see that blown away because of a non productive crop
(2) starting off gardening no matter if your right or wrong can be expensive,
Ask yourself if you want to spend both time and money as a wise venture and a long term one ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, you will have to forgive headfullofbees and I; we are totally against each others way of planting tomatoes correctly. I say, plant deep(mainly if your plants get leggy before you're able to get them planted) He says, plant shallow. If you get multiple tomato plants, why not try both methods and see which one does best for you? Good luck with your raised bed! (y)

Ask a Question