Hypertension getting the better of me!

Reaction score
Since of late i've being suffering from severe hypertension...are there any herbs that have being proven to help in controlling hypertension?

Reaction score
I am not sure right off about herbs, but check your sodium, potassium and magnesium intake. If your sodium is higher than the recommended daily intake, try lowering it. Also, and perhaps even more importantly, increase your potassium and magnesium intake. Good ways to do that are to eat a baked potato with the skin every day, this will ensure enough potassium. Boiling potatoes leaches out most of the potassium into the water, so you'll want to stick with bakes potatoes.

Really good sources of magnesium I know off the top of my head are millet and black beans. Millet makes a great breakfast cereal and black beans are pretty versatile.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You should go to a doctor, Kammy. Unfortunately, it's not possible to cure hypertension with herbs. I know that natural remedies seem to be very effective, but sometimes medications are necessary:(

Reaction score
I am not sure right off about herbs, but check your sodium, potassium and magnesium intake. If your sodium is higher than the recommended daily intake, try lowering it. Also, and perhaps even more importantly, increase your potassium and magnesium intake. Good ways to do that are to eat a baked potato with the skin every day, this will ensure enough potassium. Boiling potatoes leaches out most of the potassium into the water, so you'll want to stick with bakes potatoes.

Really good sources of magnesium I know off the top of my head are millet and black beans. Millet makes a great breakfast cereal and black beans are pretty versatile.

Hope that helps.
Dancing lady thanks for your advice i will definitely make it a practice now to have more bake potatoes as it's rare when i do...as for millet i don't think i know what that is...but i'll be researching it shortly.

Reaction score
You should go to a doctor, Kammy. Unfortunately, it's not possible to cure hypertension with herbs. I know that natural remedies seem to be very effective, but sometimes medications are necessary:(

Yes Claudine i have been to the doctor twice last week and i am on medications but i wanted to know just the same if there was any natural remedy that i could use to keep it under control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Natural remedies will help you, but not as fast as medication. I was put on blood pressure medication last February, and I switched to half-caff coffee, watched my salt intake (I haven't eaten potato chips in months), started taking hibiscus tea, eating more vegetables...and my blood pressure was perfect last Saturday. I'm taking a half a pill now, and I'll be monitoring my blood pressure, but I believe in a while, I'll be able to ditch the pills.

Reaction score
Since of late i've being suffering from severe hypertension...are there any herbs that have being proven to help in controlling hypertension?

Although my choice would always be to choose a natural remedy over conventional medicine - I have say that as you are already taking medication - I agree with R.R. in that the best way and quickest way of reducing your blood pressure would be to focus on your diet - by incorporating plenty of natural foods and reducing salt, sugar and fat intake - as doing that in combination with some exercise and your medication will definitely do the tick - much faster than anything else.

I would also just add that - although there are some herbs that may help with low grade hypertension when someone is not already taking medication - if you do plan to try herbal remedies as well - it would be advisable to speak to either your doctor or your pharmacist first - as there are many herbs that are not recommended for use with prescription medication for hypertension - as many of them have side effects and interactions that could reduce the efficacy of the medication.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
If on meds you can't take hibiscus tea as the two together can lower too low.

Great thing to lower is walking and cycling plenty exercise

Good luck

Reaction score
Natural remedies will help you, but not as fast as medication. I was put on blood pressure medication last February, and I switched to half-caff coffee, watched my salt intake (I haven't eaten potato chips in months), started taking hibiscus tea, eating more vegetables...and my blood pressure was perfect last Saturday. I'm taking a half a pill now, and I'll be monitoring my blood pressure, but I believe in a while, I'll be able to ditch the pills.

I feel so proud of you because i know it ain't an easy journey as most of the food we enjoy eating are the ones that negatively impact us...i am trying very hard to eliminate salt totally from my diet and have started eating a lot more healthy..i have lost most of my excess weight and is working on losing all of it...it's hard at times but i know i will overcome this sickness with perseverance and friends like all of you on this forum.T hanks for all your advice it's a source of strength for me.:)

Reaction score
Although my choice would always be to choose a natural remedy over conventional medicine - I have say that as you are already taking medication - I agree with R.R. in that the best way and quickest way of reducing your blood pressure would be to focus on your diet - by incorporating plenty of natural foods and reducing salt, sugar and fat intake - as doing that in combination with some exercise and your medication will definitely do the tick - much faster than anything else.

I would also just add that - although there are some herbs that may help with low grade hypertension when someone is not already taking medication - if you do plan to try herbal remedies as well - it would be advisable to speak to either your doctor or your pharmacist first - as there are many herbs that are not recommended for use with prescription medication for hypertension - as many of them have side effects and interactions that could reduce the efficacy of the medication.

I will definitely take your advice into consideration gata montes ... i haven't try any natural remedy yet as i'm on medication but i do drink lots of green tea.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I dont know of any herbs that can help with hypertension but you can use anything high in potassium, bananas kale is a good source of potassium. The one spice you should avoid is salt.

Ask a Question