Hydrogen Peroxide

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When some of you plants just don't look right or if they are droopy and you suspect a bacterial action is going on and harming them spray them with a half pint of 3% HP per gallon of water. The same HP you get at the drug store. I spray my tomatoes about twice a month with it whether they need it or not. I don't know for sure if it helps anything or not but my plants are healthy. An old timer told me this, an even older timer than I am. He said it works well on some forms of blight and on a few types of mildew.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Careful with it though, a hairdresser killed herself when a bottle leaked in her car and she got in and lit up a fag.

Whole car exploded :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Careful with it though, a hairdresser killed herself when a bottle leaked in her car and she got in and lit up a fag.

Whole car exploded :eek:
Yes it can. Rocket fuel is 100% and I think peroxide bleach is around 30%. The stuff I am talking about is the same as you pour on a cut finger,3%. When I grew flowers and roses I sprayed it undiluted on roses that had black spot bacterial fungus and it cleared them right up and when it was hot and humid it did a good job on downy mildew. Some people spray it diluted with cornmeal tea to stop various lawn problems like takal patch. I am not saying it works in all circumstances, just that it is an organic tool that may or may not work. It won't hurt anything and if it works it will be a lot better, safer and cheaper remedy than using some chemical like Daconil

Reaction score
The medicinal hydrogen peroxide usually runs between three and six percent. It works on anything attacking the surface of the leaves - aphids and spider mites as well as fungi. The natural breakdown of hydrogen peroxide shouldn't be fast enough to worry about it being dangerous so I suspect the hairdresser spilled it on something that it reacted with (maybe the metal in the car or another hairdressing chemical) to speed up the chemical reaction and produce excess hydrogen. Nonetheless, store it in a well ventilated area and you should be fine.

Reaction score
I try not using hydrogen peroxide for any plants. I usually figure that if it is bacteria or something, then I'll just let it be. Besides, I mostly plant veggies and I really haven't had too many plants die from bacteria of any sort. Isn't hydrogen peroxide used for cuts to stop infection? Also, that hairdresser story that zigs mentioned makes me think this isn't the best thing to have around.

Reaction score
Awesome!! It's really good to know there is an easy and non dangerous way to treat bacterial infections in plants, I often wondered if there was a way to do so without turning to using very toxic (for humans) chemicals. I had several indoor plants die of bacterial infections, this will surely come in handy! Thanks a lot, Chuck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Chuck, you know so much about gardening, it's really impressive. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us:) I always love learning new things, I want to know as much about taking care of plants as possible:) Using Hydrogen Peroxide sounds like an interesting idea. I think that one of my roses suffers from bacterial infection:(
Zigs - this is really scary, I feel so very sorry for that poor woman:(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the share. I have never used hp in my garden, my rose bush has had the black mold for a few years now. I will spray it as the leaves start to grow to see if that will help keep the plant healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
When some of you plants just don't look right or if they are droopy and you suspect a bacterial action is going on and harming them spray them with a half pint of 3% HP per gallon of water. The same HP you get at the drug store. I spray my tomatoes about twice a month with it whether they need it or not. I don't know for sure if it helps anything or not but my plants are healthy. An old timer told me this, an even older timer than I am. He said it works well on some forms of blight and on a few types of mildew.

Would this artichoke be a good candidate for the peroxide treatment?
007.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wouldn't hurt anything but your problem is insects, probably aphids. See that little red guy. I'd spray with garlic peppr tea or spinosad and remove that yellow leaf. Plant looks good otherwise. I don't think it needs anything but a little time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks, Chuck. This is my first time growing anything and I don't know if artichokes need special care. I think I'm not gonna get any artichokes until next year, right? does anyone have any advice? Do they like full sun? Do they get very big?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck. This is my first time growing anything and I don't know if artichokes need special care. I think I'm not gonna get any artichokes until next year, right? does anyone have any advice? Do they like full sun? Do they get very big?
I have never grown them but they do get to good size. I have a friend who grows them in their own special garden. His get at least 6 ft tall and just about that wide. They need full sun and don't like to get dry. Other than that I don't know much about them.

Ask a Question