Hydrangeas

I have five different hydrangeas. Why aren't they blooming this year?

• Cold winter

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Need fertilizer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love hydrangeas I just wish my area was not so cold and would support the growth of a hydrangea plant without having to bring it indoors during the cold winter. I did a search on the problem of the plant not blooming and found a very interesting article that speaks on the problem. It is not just one problem that maybe causing your plant to not bloom, I have attached the article, hope it helps. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/hydrangea/hydrangea-not-blooming.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Shelly (y)

We're going to need a little more information here - where are they planted, what aspect, what is the soil like, how long have you had them, how much water do they get, etc etc. Photos might be useful too :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also love hydrangeas. I'm hoping to plant one in my yard next year. Does anyone know if they require any kind of special maintance or care? I'm in the northeast. A couple of my neighbors have beautiful bushes in their yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have 13 types here. Some need a good 3 years of just sitting in ground before they bloom. Some bloom off of old wood, so if you pruned them, you will have to wait 2 years. There are mainly 3 classes of them, and each has to be treated slightly different from each other and not all are effected by the PH soil. I am not in front of my book right now, so really don't want to continue from memory. And I rarely fertilize them, or anything. Maybe every 3 years, I will throw out a general 0-10-0 fertilizer to everything. (and that is a maybe).

Ask a Question