Hydrangea fading

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My “summer crush” Endless Summer hydrangea is starting to fade from a dark raspberry color to a light pink. Why is this happening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Original color
A5CF33B7-4B35-485E-B7FE-68A1FE597045.jpeg

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's just the flowers aging, my hydrangea flowers change throughout the season. If you don't like the older flowrs you could cut them off.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, ageing and when hydrangeas die, they can look rather tatty! But think about the wildlife in the winter ... Also, you've to be careful coming to hydrangea pruning. A wrong prune can leave you with no flowers next year. Tatty flowers on the plants can insulate the plant against snow or hard frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The Endless Summer variety blooms on old and new wood so pruning is not as much of an issue with them as the older varieties. The bloom is aging. A lot of crafters use the dried blooms in projects because they have a beauty of their own.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Endless Summer Hydrangeas should not be pruned in the fall. Instead, prune them only in May. This will ensure the flower buds that have made it through the winter have emerged. Prune out only dead wood and leave any green buds or leaves.

source

Still learning, me! I have not noticed Endless series on sale here in the UK. Must keep my eyes peeled!

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
all my beds get a hand tossed 12-12-12 app. early then nature takes over.
that beast is actually 2 standard hydrangea's that have blended as 1.
We have hydrangeas all over the property-big bang this time of year!
DSCF4580 (2).JPG
DSCF4578 (2).JPG
DSCF4574 (2).JPG

the last pic shows a pair of "limelight" hydrangeas that are just getting ready to bloom.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Check out this web site. I was at his house last night and his gardens are fantastic. I would highly recommend getting his book it's well worth the money.

Ask a Question