Husband says...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I planted this tree wrong and that it needs to be deeper where it was grafted. Is he right? Hope not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Attachments

• 27F6E382-493B-40EA-B357-0D55DA7F4369.jpeg
    27F6E382-493B-40EA-B357-0D55DA7F4369.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 265
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If anything the tree is planted too deep. Always make the root flare visible.. Also, I don't think that is the graft either. It's to high up the trunk. I think it was just a fork and someone cut one of the limbs off. Google root flare and see what I am talking about. If it were me I would remove enough soil to see the flare and keep the soil removed even it it means digging up the tree and planting it in another hole. A tree with the root flare buried will not have a long happy life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If anything the tree is planted too deep. Always make the root flare visible.. Also, I don't think that is the graft either. It's to high up the trunk. I think it was just a fork and someone cut one of the limbs off. Google root flare and see what I am talking about. If it were me I would remove enough soil to see the flare and keep the soil removed even it it means digging up the tree and planting it in another hole. A tree with the root flare buried will not have a long happy life.

I’ve been yelling at my 2 year old for digging up the dirt around my trees, I guess I’ll let him for now on and it is funny ever since he started doing that to the older two they’ve been thriving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I don't want to be specific with advice, since I'm not familiar with your area/zone, but here in 8a Texas, we plant grafted trees about 2" above ground level. You might want to add mulch to a depth of about 4", making sure there is a hollow around the tree trunk where the mulch doesn't touch, and water well if you have a dry spell.
Your 2 year old sounds like a gardener in the making. How about teaching the fine art of weeding?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't want to be specific with advice, since I'm not familiar with your area/zone, but here in 8a Texas, we plant grafted trees about 2" above ground level. You might want to add mulch to a depth of about 4", making sure there is a hollow around the tree trunk where the mulch doesn't touch, and water well if you have a dry spell.
Your 2 year old sounds like a gardener in the making. How about teaching the fine art of weeding?

LOL!

Ask a Question