Huge rosemary

Reaction score
I have a huge established rosemary shrub in my yard. My father- in- law must have planted it 25 years ago. I need to move it to a more desirable location, but I am afraid of hurting it. I would also love to break it up and make toparies out of some of it to use in my home. The cost of a medium topiary in my neck of the woods is about $50, so creating my own is ideal. I need advice!

Reaction score
Hi Caseymich,

I'm sure your issue is whether or not disturbing the shrub will kill it and that's something to really consider and think about. I think it's wonderful you have such a huge rosemary shrub, trust me, I'm envying you right now (lol) because I love rosemary and am always growing it and may consider planting mine in the ground this summer instead of keeping them in posts.

If I were you, I would speak with someone at a nursery for some serious professional advice, just to ensure you're doing the right thing, you certainly don't want to kill something so wonderful that's been growing for 25 years or more. I wish you the best.

Reaction score
Thanks Rosaline for your advice. I can't wait to go to my nursery this weekend. It's always good to have a good excuse to go and look around while I'm there.

Reaction score
I have two small rosemary plants on my porch. I got them for a steal of a deal since they were mostly dead when I got them. I hope that one day I can have a huge shrub of it. I have heard that you can start a new growth of it by soaking a stem of it in a glass of water until it roots. I wonder if you could start new ones off this large plant and use them for the topiaries?

Reaction score
That's good advice Loo, because I do this a lot with plants too and it usually works pretty good. I have tried the rosemary over three times and it never seems to root. I think maybe the wood is to hardy? I don't know. It's funny that I've never used rooting powder for anything. I'm going to give that a shot.

Reaction score
I would definitely be very, very careful with that particular plant since it is so well-established. Not to mention the fact that it probably has sentimental value as well, considering it is so old. I am with the above poster -- I definitely think I would ask for tips, advice and potentially assistance from someone who really knows what they are doing. Not saying that you don't know what you are doing, but you know what I mean lol :).

Ask a Question