How's this for determination.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I purchased this large white echium from the first open garden a friend and i travelled quite a distance to when i first started gardening 8 years ago. It was a very inspiring garden still etched in my memory. I planted it in my white garden not considering its particular needs. Look how it has crept out to the sun and the open. It has never flowered so this lovely big spire is very exciting
rps20190831_013944.jpg

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I purchased this large white echium from the first open garden a friend and i travelled quite a distance to when i first started gardening 8 years ago. It was a very inspiring garden still etched in my memory. I planted it in my white garden not considering its particular needs. Look how it has crept out to the sun and the open. It has never flowered so this lovely big spire is very exciting View attachment 57818
hope it blooms nicely, but the foliage on that specimen deserves to be noted, very striking, and a group of those spaced together would be quite a display!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
True Lawnsman. I've not seen any other white echiums at the nurseries I frequent but I haven't looked either. I would ask for quicker growing ones though. I had a lovely soft pink one at one stage. You've given me food for thought as several together would look great in that spot. Thank you. I'll be on a mission now. Actually they do self seed as I have 3 others together in another area , a blue, a purple and a mauve and when flowering they are pretty spectacular, even if I do say so myself . I have shown it off on this wonderful forum previously And I do find self seeded ones in my garden so I might just take pot luck on the colour and pop them in with this meandering one. Whilst it is predominate my white garden I have found a few "ring-ins", such as the white pieries which turned out to be pink when it flowered so i did decide that pastel colours could work. Not that purple is pastel of course!

Last edited:

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a perfect example of why we all love to play a part in growing plants of all kinds. To place something in a pot or in the ground in its favorite environment, water it and feed it and see what it can become, Amazing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have several other echium and cut them back in Autumn. It's Spring, only a month until Summer time here but I'm doing my homework on how to prune this giant baby. Does any one have an idea please? It's confusing as it's just the single stem, I've googled but only found information on the "normal" echium.

Ask a Question