howdy from northern maine!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Steve! Great to have you here :)

Reaction score
Hi there, Steve! Welcome to the forum :) I hope you like it here and find our little community really useful. If you have any question or doubt, please don't hesitate to let us know :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
thanks guys! look forward to it! won't be long till' it starts to go the other way. thats late apr. up here but going to alaska ice fishing in late march. shouldn't be long after that. till' then ill learn from you southern guys that are already gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
A warm welcome Steve. Enjoy! There are people from all over the world here as you will soon discover...and even more northern than you:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Steve. I am sure you will find lots of good ideas in this group.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Welcome Steve. :) It must be a challenge gardening in your hardiness zone.
it can be. but if you pick the right plants it can be really good too! most berries do well here as long as you get the right cultivars. things grow slower here so stuff like lettuce you can get more crops before it bolts. got to be careful not to plant too early in spring. we've had killing frosts in june. tunnels work good to get things going early and protect them till' the temps warm up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Steve Look forward to some Berry & W/Mushroom chat & hearing about what grows & what don't :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Welcome Steve Look forward to some Berry & W/Mushroom chat & hearing about what grows & what don't :)
thanks daren! hows the winter been across the pond? someday i would love to visit your country! i know that gooseberries are very popular over there. can you recommend a cultivar that will grow in us planting zone 4? i have 3 currants but no gooseberries yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
In southeast England winter has been vary Mild. I can't remember one like it in my lifetime. But weather has been variable over the UK Floods in the north and south-west

I wish I could help you On Gooseberry Hunt for Zone4, But I'm at a loss when it comes to there Cultivars. If I was to give advice on that it would only be on what I read on Internet. I Do love them though. They grow well in England & are almost all tasty Berries. I'm Sure Some one on this forum will Know a good one that would grow for you over there. In the Mean time if I stumble on some Advice That would help I'll pass it on to you ;)

Ask a Question