How'd everyone season go? Fuit trees from seed???

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off how'd the season go/ still going??? My plants got huge! But don't produce so well :( ... but my area has lots of Amish and Mennonites so we ended up just grabbing about 2 bushel in total of tomatoes! 6 bucks for half a bushel for tomatoes that just need a little tlc, I think that isn't bad! :D

We ended up canned about 25 jars of salsa, 25 jars of both pizza and spaghetti sauce, 15 jars of chili base and whole load of diced tomatoes!!... I say we are set!

Now onto the other part of this thread, has anyone started fuit trees (apple peach lemon etc) from seeds from the actual fuit you bought at the market? I've done it with lemons a year or so ago but ended up giving it away to a friend but now I got about 8 lemon seedlings going and soon probably 10 apple ones!

Suggestions for a better out come? What should I do for winter? Anyone want one lol... I'll take any advice or suggestions!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like you over fertilized, probably too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus or you picked the wrong varieties. As far as the lemons go, keep them WARM and you can expect your first lemon in about 7-9 years. Don't know about apples. The only thing I have left growing are medium hot peppers and okra. Everything else has burned up.

Reaction score
I grew two local lemon trees (the small variety) from seeds in different soil environments but both started fruiting at 5 years. I grew them from the seeds of the biggest lemon in the batch I bought from the market. I planted one tree in the back garden and it grew tall and has been bearing good lemons since. I planted the other one in a big clay pot and it also started bearing fruit when it reached 5 years. The tree did not grow as tall as the other, reaching the maximum height of only 1.5 feet. It also did not last long and died at 6 years. I guess it needed more space to thrive. I have not tried applying commercial fertilizer because I want to stay as organic as possible.

Ask a Question