How wide do rose bushes normally grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to plant my roses in the garden soon along a mesh wire fence and I'm wondering how far I should plant them away from the fence so the leaves and stems does get caught up in it, most of them are bushes and some are climbers, not really sure about what specific types of each because I lost the labels for each plant unfortunately so I've no way of telling which is which until they begin flower again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Floribundas get pretty wide, climbers don't "climb" without support, and grandifloras get tall and wide. Keeping the roses off the fence will require the plants to be about 5 feet away from the fence, and you still may have to prune them back to keep them off the fence.
If you are worried about the roses getting caught up in the fence, why not plant a variety of perennials that will stay within the bounds you want, and put the roses where they can ramble and roam freely?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thanks didn't realise they would need that much space, the only other area where they'd get enough sunlight is parallel with the driveway but then as they grew taller you wouldn't be able to see into the garden, could I get away with planting them a couple of feet away from the fence and then pruning any bits that went towards it? Or guide some shoots through the mesh of the fence so they can still grow through it? The other side of the fence is still my property its just that there's hens on that side, there's also a large plum tree there too which would block alot of sunlight in the evening, I'll take a pic of the layout of the garden tomorrow when its light to give a better idea of what I mean

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep my hybrid T s to about a 3ft square. Some rose gardens have them about 18" apart. I think you could easily manage with pruning to keep in space available. If they grow through the fence they won't harm the hens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok a couple of feet would work better for me then it keeps them close to the edge and tidy looking, I was more worried that the hens might pick the leaves off it but I suppose once its grown tall enough they won't be able to reach it and might even use it as cover, here's a pic of the layout the wooden fence at the left side is where the south facing sun comes in from and the large tree at the far wall is a plum tree so it could maybe block alot of sun in some areas I just moved in so in not sure how much sun it will block once its leaves grow back, the wire fence at the right hand side is where I was planning on putting the roses

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_092917.jpg
    IMG_20190216_092917.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 209

Ask a Question