How unprofessional can some garden centres get?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
P1010638.JPG
We bought several more glazed patio ceramic pots from Wyevale in October last year for our "tree roses.". I try keep the pots all looking similar.

Wyevale had been selling them at £24.99 or two for £40 all year.

Today, the wind blew one over and it cracked, so for now I've taped it up. I went down to Wyevale for a replacement. Whilst I was there, I thought I might get a couple. I managed to find the last two they had. I doubt if they will be getting any more in as it's now "Sale time," and they'll be anxious to get out the Christmas gear soon. To my dismay I found they were now £29.99 or two for £50.

I collared one of the managers, (it's no good talking to the Saturday staff) and quietly expressed my displeasure at the steep increase in price.

"Sorry, sir, we have no influence over the pricing it's all done by Head Office."

"Fair enough, but did they tell you to just over-stick the £24.99 price labels with ones reading, £29.99?"
I showed him one in my trolley where I'd peeled back the new price label to reveal the original.

I got my two pots for forty quid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This site has no ability to gild you, but I will point out that the same drive you have to aquire @ plant is met with need in the garden to protect @ plant from pathogen pressure on the top side and soil improvement on the bottom side so I say " HEAR HEAR! Recognize a Leaf of this Round Table!".

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 41717 We bought several more glazed patio ceramic pots from Wyevale in October last year for our "tree roses.". I try keep the pots all looking similar.

Wyevale had been selling them at £24.99 or two for £40 all year.

Today, the wind blew one over and it cracked, so for now I've taped it up. I went down to Wyevale for a replacement. Whilst I was there, I thought I might get a couple. I managed to find the last two they had. I doubt if they will be getting any more in as it's now "Sale time," and they'll be anxious to get out the Christmas gear soon. To my dismay I found they were now £29.99 or two for £50.

I collared one of the managers, (it's no good talking to the Saturday staff) and quietly expressed my displeasure at the steep increase in price.

"Sorry, sir, we have no influence over the pricing it's all done by Head Office."

"Fair enough, but did they tell you to just over-stick the £24.99 price labels with ones reading, £29.99?"
I showed him one in my trolley where I'd peeled back the new price label to reveal the original.

I got my two pots for forty quid.

hahahahaha! Love it! The lazy greedy shop. They are basically famous for overpricing their stuff. But since you like them, I don't want to burst your bubble!

It's difficult for them as in winter the birdfeeders were priced £4.99. In June, they started pricing them £5.99. I was hopping mad to see one was charged £5.99 whilst the label said £4.99!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This site has no ability to gild you, but I will point out that the same drive you have to aquire @ plant is met with need in the garden to protect @ plant from pathogen pressure on the top side and soil improvement on the bottom side so I say " HEAR HEAR! Recognize a Leaf of this Round Table!".
:eek::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
hahahahaha! Love it! The lazy greedy shop. They are basically famous for overpricing their stuff. But since you like them, I don't want to burst your bubble!

It's difficult for them as in winter the birdfeeders were priced £4.99. In June, they started pricing them £5.99. I was hopping mad to see one was charged £5.99 whilst the label said £4.99!

There's no bubble, it's a question of what's available and where and at what price. I spent a lifetime in retail management, some of the stores I managed had a garden centre section, so I'm pretty astute at knowing what's a fair price for anything.
We've bought stuff from Wyevale, Parkers and Bents as garden centres and a small local nursery (until they sold up and the land went for a housing development). We've also bought stuff on-line and on e-Bay.

This over-laying of prices is just very unprofessional. I put it down to poor management supervision.

Ask a Question