How to root basil cuttings without putting them in water?

Reaction score
I tried several times to multiple my basil using the cutting method, however they don't root and rot everytime, even if I put a piece of charcoal in the container fil with water.
So, is there other alternatives such as using peat, compost for example?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sphagnum moss, dampened, should breath better. Some rooting powder and scuffing would help but I think basil is supposed to be pretty aggresive about rooting already. You probably want to pay more attention to warmth this time of year especially. When they say put it in the window in water and watch the roots grow, its not just about light. Water is absolutely mad about absorbing IR heat wavelengths.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sphagnum moss, dampened, should breath better. Some rooting powder and scuffing would help but I think basil is supposed to be pretty aggresive about rooting already. You probably want to pay more attention to warmth this time of year especially. When they say put it in the window in water and watch the roots grow, its not just about light. Water is absolutely mad about absorbing IR heat wavelengths.

I live in a tropical country, so sunlight and water temperature aren't really a problem for me :)

I have another question. Where should I put the cutting if I use Sphagnum moss? Near a window?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I live in a tropical country, so sunlight and water temperature aren't really a problem for me :)

I have another question. Where should I put the cutting if I use Sphagnum moss? Near a window?
Well yes because photosynthesis, but if you get too hot it causes trouble like cold does. Here are some tips. I noticed it said change water every 2 days. That may be oxygen related. It sounded like how to keep a fish alive anyway. Sorry I am not of better service, I usually grow it from seed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sunlight is a great disinfectant. It kills mold, mildew and the fungus which causes rot to some degree.

From examples I've seen, they scrape off the outermost layer of plant bark on the bottom where they want roots to propagate. That seems like it could be a key step some tutorials are leaving out.

Ask a Question