How to remove hard water white residue on brick wall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
There was a leak in my drip system a while back and I did not know so it splashed water all over the brick wall in my garden for a long time. I fixed the leak already and now I see the white residue on the brick wall. What's the best way to remove the white residue please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can purchase a commercial brick cleaner or make your own by combining 1 cup white vinegar with 1 gallon of water. Simply dip a stiff-bristled brush into the solution, scrub the stains and rinse the bricks with clean water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hydrochloric acid, also known as muriatic acid is also known as brick acid. Cheap and will dissolve metals so careful around those pipes as they can get disfigured. The by products of the fizzing are calcium chloride, carbon dioxide and water. Rinse thoroughly and use rubber protection like rubber gloves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep. Vinegar is too weak and will take forever. DirtMechanic is right. Definitely muriatic acid, AKA pool acid, (also known as concrete etcher/brick cleaner/pipe flusher....) - actually hydrochloric acid!

As with many things, they had to find a cute name for it - after all, most people would probably freak out about pouring hydrochloric acid in their swimming pool! What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over, as my Grandma used to say. She also used to say you've got to eat a certain amount of dirt before you die (hopefully not immediately before you expire) - usually when we were grieving about the dirt or bug we had spotted too late before we chopped down on the salad.

Ask a Question