How to regrow a tree from a offshoot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I took some offshoots from a tree that was being felled for road widening... I have kept them in water since February.. They are about a foot long.. They had very small buds on when first picked.. One off the buds have now just started to leaf. It is right near the top. There are no roots at the bottom in the water.. I would love to carry on to grow this if possible, but don't know how to... Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's a long time, but it sounds as though there is still life there. Do you know what sort of tree it was? You might get better rooting in a solid medium than in water, typically a mixture with sharp sand is good. Have you considered rooting hormone? Are they inside or out? I keep things like that that are essentially outside plants on the North side of the greenhouse, if they are not direct in the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. I keep them in a glass jug in my kitchen.. I did have another twig do the same I tried to grow it in soil but it never worked. I will try the rooting powder.. I want it to grow because my 24 year old grandson died in a car accident near this tree.. Which they have now chopped down for road widening.. I want this tree to live on... I don't know what sort off tree it was.. Janice.

Ask a Question