How to protect peony bushes next to driveway during paving

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

New on here and hope I am posting to right forum. I am going to have my driveway done. It is currently paved but in bad shape. My concern is I have a row of peony bushes right next to driveway (between house and driveway) and I don't know how to protect them during the driveway repair. I imagine the driveway will need to be graded and then I don't care whether it is paved or just filled in with gravel.
Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How much room is there between the peonies and the driveway? Could you put down a row of cinder blocks to keep the grader from getting at them? If so, I'd do that. Maybe put up some temporary posts along the row (like shepherd's hooks...) and string the foliage back out of the way. Then cover with a cheap shower curtain or drop cloth from a dollar store?

And MAKE SURE you tell whoever is running the grader just how important the peonies are to you! :cautious: Replacement plants may be deducted from your final bill!!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
MaryMary, the plants are right at driveway edge. Great ideas though, I think putting in temporary stakes and old shower curtain screen is great. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it does have to be graded it would be graded away from the house so there shouldn't be an issue as long as you have some space between them and the drive.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
MaryMary, the plants are right at driveway edge. Great ideas though, I think putting in temporary stakes and old shower curtain screen is great. Thanks!
I would tie string from stake to stake to help hold back the foliage. Get up under the foliage, and tie it out of the way...

We have peonies, and for the most part, we just let the grass get a little high around them. About every 3-4 mowings, I take a long string, loop it under and around the lowest leaves, and pull it up and back. My boyfriend mows the shaggy part, and we're good to go for about a month.

Ask a Question