How-to: Log Beehive

Reaction score
I found this on reddit yesterday and thought "I am so gonna try this!"

I have always had a healthy population of bees in my garden because of a massive honey suckle bordering my yard. But the neighbors petitioned the town to have us cut it back. So we had to cut it back Nov '12 and with the drought it has not recovered. And last year I could really see the detriment in the lack of bees, humming birds and butterflies in my yard :(. Not to be dissuaded I have been planting dozens of milkweed varieties, dill, sunflowers. And I have been studying beekeeping so I'm really excited to get this project off the ground soon!

How to Log Beehive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks like a great idea, I love the viewing door! Such a shame about the large honeysuckle you had to cut down, can you plant it anywhere else that wouldn't be a problem? I love honeysuckle, the smell is just divine :love:

Reaction score
I live in one of these tightly regulated neighborhoods, not so much by a homeowners association but by neighbors with sticks in their butts that don't share my love of a more wild natural landscape. I have a wild flower/weedy lawn which looks "unkempt" but it is more of a meadow than a lawn and the honeysuckle was MASSIVE cutting it back was probably in order but and it's inground so moving it is not really an option but I am going to try and trellis it to turn it into a living arch so it doesn't drape over my neighbor's as it grows towards the sun.

Reaction score
It will come back eventually, honeysuckle is an incredibly durable plant. Love the log beehive, what a crazy yet wonderfully creative idea! The insects will be back and bring more of their friends; the word is out that you are a haven for them!

Ask a Question