How to keep dogs and cats from plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Here's some tips that has worked for me for years:

* Put some sour herbs in pots (Chamomile, Dandelion, Peppermint..) and make them surround the plants that you don't want your doggy to destroy/chew/urinate. Orange peelings work too, spread them in your plants base or pot.
* You can use cacti or other thorny plants as a barrier for a plant section you don't want the dog to trespass.
* This one is real funny: put a hard toy with the form of an animal or huge insect near your plants and your dog will not dare to reach out.

Here you go.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Thanks for sharing! I have both a dog and a cat -- so as you can imagine I like sticking to natural remedies rather than anything chemical based when it comes to keeping them away from plants! It puts my mind at ease a lot more when I can use herbs as a barrier to them going near the plants...I just feel more comfortable with that than I do with something that has things I can't even pronounce on the label!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I had an issue with my neighbor's cat and my planter boxes so I decided to do a little bit of research..I read that cats hate cinnamon, so I went out everyday and sprinkled some on top of the soil, as well as mixing it in with the soil. I've noticed the cats don't seem to come around any more, so I'm thinking it works! They also hate vinegar, you can fill a small spray bottle with a water/vinegar mixture and spray around your plants (this will not harm them).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Having problems with neighbor's cats pooping and spraying in our yard and even potted plants. So far mothballs placed in the spots they like to use has seemed to work. I wouldn't use this indoors of course for my own pets.

Ask a Question