HOW TO HARVEST ALOE VERA

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Harvesting your aloe plant is beneficial for the resulting bounty’s many uses and also for the plant’s health. As we harvest and cut away ripe leaves, we’re in a sense pruning the aloe vera and promoting new growth and a healthy cycle. Be sure not to overharvest though depending on the size of the plant, you can cut anywhere from 1-5 leaves.

Prep:

• Sterilize a pair of scissors (large enough to cut the aloe leaves)
  • Get a cup of water ready (one that the leaf/leaves can fit in)

Step 1: Identity which leaves to cut:
Visually scan your plant to see which leaves are most viable for harvest. The leaf should be established (at least a foot long), and should be slightly firm but give a bit to the touch. Assessing the outside of the leaf can help determine the viscosity of the inside, which helps in knowing which leaf is underripe (firm to the touch), ripe (slightly plush), or overripe (too soft, often droopy, and possibly already busting open).

Step 2: Cut the aloe leaves:
Now that you have chosen which leaves to cut, get your sterilized scissors ready. Sterilizing the scissors is important to maintain the health of your plant as we don’t want to spread possible contaminants. Start to cut each leaf individually as close to the base of the plant as possible.

Step 3: Allow the leaves to drain:
Next, immediately place the cut leaf with the cut side down into the cup of water. With the pointy end of the aloe leaf sticking straight up into the air, a sap-like yellow substance will start to ooze out of the bottom of the leaf. This yellow secretion is called aloin (aka aloe latex) and is stored in the aloe leaf pulp. Aloin is toxic and should not be ingested as it is a potent laxative. Try to avoid contact altogether, but if you do touch it, wash the area with warm water and soap to avoid any potential skin irritation. You’ll need to allow the leaf or leaves to drain for about 20 minutes.

Step 4: Opening the leaf & extracting the aloe:
Now it’s time to cut open the aloe leaf. Place the leaf lengthwise on a cutting board. There are two options here depending on how you plan to store the aloe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I got an aloe-vera plant from a neighbor that was moving, but I never harvested from it, I don't even pay much attention to it, but just the other day I noticed it's starting to spread out with little aloe-vera plants all around it. I wonder if I could sell some:LOL:

Ask a Question