How to grow peonies in pots?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to know how best to grow peonies in pots. I have done some research on the internet and youtube. What compost mix should I use please?

Also, should I complain or not?

SAM_0286.JPG

I could see the eye on the side, but the stems are rotten and I am not sure I can keep it alive. It's about £7 excluding postage. If there are 4 or five eyes or 3 strong eyes I wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of peony is it,is it a herbaceous that die down? Is the crown soft,if so it's rotting. Depending on if it's a tree peony it will need a large pot. I'd go for a multi purpose compost, with a bit of grit. Get all the old stems off. Keep it outside.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Herbaceous and intersectional ? Inter something.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Rajesh Sethi You will be surprised. Peonies actually like it hot or dappled shade. Herbaceous ones do well in sunny and well drained soil. In fact, the rhizomes have to be planted a bit near the ground. For herbaceous, 2 inches below the soil for the eyes and 4 inches for the intersetional. I don't know if they need a drop in night time temperature. But mine flowers in the hottest, baking spot in my front garden. One bought 5 years ago planted in the back garden is still sulking .. What a diva!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I hope it viatalise, and blossoms soon.

Let's see if I could find one here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it get scorched during summer.:D

Your pot looks bit soggy.:whistle:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are from the pots they came with. I haven't got round to repotting these. Youtube Botanus said they should be soaked for 2 hours to overcome the transit shock. Need to sort out more pots and compost so that they can flower. I don't want to put them to the ground. All six pots will be ready for today. Might have to rejit those two yesterday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
By the way, how many bulb are there?

I hope there are more than one, I always purchase 2 or more, so if I accidentally kill one,
sd33%2B%252814%2529.gif

I still have others as backup.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love your gifs as they always make me laugh. @Rajesh Sethi

I can only afford one for each as they are too expensive and even that is after a discount of 20% - Too expensive for words.. I have chopped my intersectional into 2 and now I'm quaking in my boots as they might both bite the dust!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's a common practice in the UK to grow them in pots. In one of the gardening programmes, a lady showcased most of her peonies in pots. I hope my Coral Charm or Sunset will flower like hers!

Ask a Question